This recipe for Triple Chocolate Chip Bars is filled with white, milk and dark chocolate chips. They are the perfect mix between a cookie and a brownie – crisp on the outside, and soft & chewy on the inside. These bars are any chocolate lover’s dream!
I really think I’ve outdone myself with these bars!
My son has been off from school with the flu this week and I wanted to make something that would lift his spirits. Like his Dad, he is a big chocolate lover so I wanted to make something really special.
Let me tell you – these bars are definitely special! My husband says they are brownies, but I say they are cookie bars because of the crispy outer shell, but please feel free to test them for yourself and weigh in on the debate.
As a base for this recipe, I used my Classic Chocolate Chip Blondies recipe. I used that one instead of the more obvious chocolate variety because it is by far the best cookie bar recipe I’ve ever made.
It’s been perfected and I use that recipe for gifts at Christmas or any time I want to make a big splash with my baking skills. I know I’ve baked some impressive treats, but that recipe is a family favorite and loved by anyone who tries it.
I’ve used it as a base for my Salted Caramel & Dark Chocolate Blondies recipe which is by far the most popular recipe on this site. So, it was the logical starting point for these bars.
The only thing I changed is the addition of melted chocolate and cocoa powder and my goodness, what a good choice it was. I think I’ll be adding these to my gift baskets this year!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Triple Chocolate Chips Bars
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips to be melted
- 2 cups all-purpose/plain flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1½ cups light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup milk Chocolate Chips
- ½ cup white Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 170C degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8 x 12 baking pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips on medium power in 30-second intervals until just melted.
- Sift the flour, Cocoa Powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- Mix in the flour mixture by hand until combined (this avoids a cake like consistency).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, give the pan a little shake. If it jiggles in the middle, put the pan back in and try again every 5 minutes until there is no longer any jiggle.