Bake up a batch of these irresistible Double Chocolate Chip Cookies – they’re a moist chewy, wonderful treat for chocolate lovers everywhere!
Tried & Tested Chocolate Cookies
These cookies are a regular treat in my house. I created the recipe for years ago for my chocolate addicted husband and have been making them on regular rotation ever since!
Why This Recipe Works
- Using melted chocolate instead of just cocoa powder gives these cookies a deep chocolate flavor.
- Brown sugar keeps these cookies soft, chewy, and full of flavor.
- Using Butter instead of shortening adds a buttery richness that can’t be beat!
- Bread flour keeps the cookies from spreading too much when baked.
What Is A Double Chocolate Chip Cookie?
A double chocolate chip cookie is a chocolate chip cookie made with both melted chocolate and cocoa powder for a rich chocolate flavor.
How To Make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Sift the dry ingredients. Set aside
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy.
- Mix in egg, vanilla extract, and melted chocolate.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place calls of dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Step By Step Instructions
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips on medium power in 30-second intervals until just melted. Set aside
Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract.
To save time, melt the butter instead of using the creaming method. Then mix the cooled butter into the sugar before adding the eggs and vanilla.
Mix well and add the melted chocolate.
Then mix in the flour mixture and add the chocolate chips.
Fold in the chocolate chips.
Using a cookie scoop drop the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 12 – 14 minutes until tops have cracked. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
How To Freeze Cookie Dough
- Cookie dough can also be frozen by rolling it into individual balls and freezing them on a cookie sheet.
- Once frozen, just transfer the dough balls to a freezer bag for up to 4 months.
- Thaw them in the refrigerator and bake according to the recipe
- If you like your cookies thicker and a bit chewier, you can refrigerate the dough before baking anywhere from 1 hour – 1 day.
- The raw cookie dough can be frozen and thawed to bake whenever you’d like.
- Use room temperature ingredients – butter and eggs will combine better with dry ingredients that are already at room temperature.
- Use an electric mixer for Creaming the butter and sugar – An electric mixer forces air into the butter in a way that’s not possible to achieve by hand. This makes cookies lighter.
- Stir dry ingredients in by hand. Over mixing can make cookies tough which is easily done with electric mixers.
How To Store Cookies
- Prepared Cookie Dough can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freshly baked cookies should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- Baked cookies can also be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for 3-4 months.
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips to be melted
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup bread flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup dark chocolate chips on medium power in 30-second intervals until just melted. Set aside
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy. Add melted chocolate and mix until combined. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients by hand and mix until blended (to avoid over mixing)
- Fold in remaining cup of chocolate chips.
- Line the cookie sheets with parchment/grease-proof paper. Using tablespoon drop the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes until tops have cracked. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.