This recipe for Citrus and Olive Oil Bundt Cake makes a simple flavored cake that uses anything from orange to lemon juices and rind for flavor. This delicious cake is completely dairy-free; using olive oil keeps this cake really moist and the whipped eggs make it beautifully fluffy.
The other day an old friend came to my house for coffee. It’s been ages since I saw her so I thought it would be nice if I baked her a cake. I usually make my Caramel Apple Bundt Cake for guests, however, this friend is lactose intolerant so doesn’t get to eat cake very often, so I set out to make a dairy-free cake for her.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes that use olive oil in place of butter and milk. I’ve had a couple and found them a bit dense so I decided to try whipping the eggs to make it lighter. Let me tell you, I am really pleased with the result.
This cake is super light and packed full of citrus flavor. I had oranges, lemons, and tangerines on hand so that’s what I used for the juices and for the rind, I used orange and lemon, but I’m guessing lime would work as well. You can use whatever you have on hand, but make sure you use enough rind.
The first time I made it, the flavor was a bit flat so I doubled the rind for my second trial run. It turned out perfect.
For the glaze, I used a simple mixture of citrus juice and powdered sugar. You don’t miss the milk or butter one bit!
If you know someone who can’t eat dairy, this is a perfect solution! My friend was thrilled with it, so if you know someone who can’t have dairy products, give them a treat with this fabulous cake.
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Citrus and Olive Oil Bundt Cake
- 1½ cups of superfine sugar/granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of citrus zest I used 1 orange and 1 lemon
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed citrus juice I used 1 orange 1 lemon and 5 tangerines
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fresh citrus juice I used 4 tangerines
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C
- Generously grease a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Place the sugar, eggs, and zest in a bowl and whisk (about 8-10 minutes) until thick and pale.
- Add the juice and olive oil until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until just combined (do not over mix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes until carefully turning out onto the rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the sugar and enough juice to make a drizzling consistency until smooth.
- Drizzle onto the cooled cake.