This recipe for Bacon & Green Onion Pasta Salad makes a quick and delicious lunch, or is perfect prepared ahead for a picnic or barbecue.
Today was my son’s last day of school (finally). They finish quite late in the UK and I start itching to have my son home with me in mid June when friends back home start to post on Facebook that school’s out.
They have a family picnic on the last day of school. It’s a really nice day for the kids and parents alike. I made a huge batch of this salad for it and it was the only thing that was eaten without of a trace of anything left in the container (except my chocolate chip cookies)!
This pasta salad is really amazing! The bacon & green onions add a different spin on your every day macaroni salad.
It’s one of my favorite things to make in the summertime because you can eat however much you like and it’s a very fresh and light meal to eat in the hot weather when you don’t feel like cooking or heating up the kitchen.
If you’re a fan of pasta salad, check out some of my other recipes…
I’ve also made this using leftover chicken breast. It’s perfect for making it into a lunch to take to work and eat at your desk. It also keeps for a good few days so it’s great for leftovers as well.
This recipe was originally posted in July of 2014, but was updated to add nutritional information in 2017.
Bacon & Green Onion Pasta Salad
- 12 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups dried pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 3 green onions sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup cucumber chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the bacon, pasta, cucumber and green onions. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt & pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.