This recipe for bacon & green onion pasta salad makes a quick and delicious lunch or is perfectly prepared ahead for a picnic or barbecue.
Today was my son’s last day of school (finally). They finish quite late in the UK and I start itching to have my son home with me in mid-June when friends back home start to post on Facebook that school’s out.
They have a family picnic on the last day of school. It’s a really nice day for the kids and parents alike. I made a huge batch of this salad for it and it was the only thing that was eaten without a trace of anything left in the container (except my chocolate chip cookies)!
Why this recipe works:
- The vinegar and mayonnaise are a creamy and tangy base for the pasta.
- Bacon and cucumbers make for a salty and crunchy texture everyone will love.
- It’s perfect for making it into a lunch to take to work and eat at your desk.
This bacon & green onion pasta salad is really amazing! The bacon & green onions add a different spin on your everyday macaroni salad.
It’s one of my favorite things to make in the summertime because you can eat however much you like and it’s a very fresh and light meal to eat in the hot weather when you don’t feel like cooking or heating up the kitchen.
If you’re a fan of pasta salad, check out some of my other recipes…
- Have leftover chicken? Chop it up into cubes and add to make this a main meal.
- For a lower fat option, use low-fat mayonnaise.
Food Safety For Warmer Weather:
- To prevent rapidly growing bacteria from forming, Food shouldn’t be unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours or limit the time to one hour if the outdoor temperature is higher than 90° F.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 12 strips of bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cups dried pasta cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 3 green onions sliced into rounds
- ½ cup cucumber chopped
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup mayonnaise plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the bacon, pasta, cucumber and green onions. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt & pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in July of 2014, but was republished with tips, FAQs, and variations in July of 2018.