This recipe for Chicken & Red Pesto Pasta Salad is a wonderful, flavorful dish that’s perfect prepared ahead for picnics or backyard barbecues.
Use my homemade recipe for, Red Tomato Pesto to make this dish extra special.
I love pasta salad. As soon as the warm weather hits, I start creating new versions to make for picnics, days at the beach and backyard barbecues.
I see a lot of recipes for pasta salads that use traditional green pesto, but I’m not a a big fan of green pesto so I almost always use red pesto when I want to add a kick of flavor and my homemade version is really easy to make.
I use sun-dried tomatoes instead of roasted red peppers, although you can use what ever you prefer. If you don’t have time you can also use store bought, but I always think homemade is always worth the extra effort!
The first time I made it was for our first barbecue of the season. It was a huge hit and there wasn’t a bit left. I gave the second batch to a friend (I always have an overflow of food in this house) and she text me raving about how good it was.
I can always tell that I’m on to a winner if someone who doesn’t live under my roof gives a dish such a glowing review!
This is a really versatile recipe. I used roasted red peppers, green onions, and cucumber, but tomatoes, celery or even some mozzarella (for a vegetarian version) work really well too.
You can use what ever you want to add or have on hand. For the chicken, I used some roasted chicken breast that I had leftover, but store bought (freshly cooked) from your grocery store works well too.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Chicken & Red Pesto Pasta Salad
This recipe for Chicken & Red Pesto Pasta Salad is a wonderful, flavorful dish that's perfect prepared ahead for picnics or backyard barbecues.
- 2 cups dry pasta of your choice cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 3 green/spring onions sliced into rounds
- 1-2 jarred roasted red peppers sliced into smalls strips
- 1 unwaxed cucumber chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pesto plus more to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fresh herbs of your choice chopped (I used parsley & basil)
- ½ cup mayonnaise plus more to taste
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the pasta, chicken, green onions, roasted red peppers, and cucumber.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, pesto, lemon juice, salt & pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.