This vibrant and tasty recipe for Winter Squash Soup is a healthy way to warm up on cold winter days. Make the most of winter’s harvest with this warming, seasonal soup.
To make this soup, you just cook your squash in stock and honey before blitzing into this velvety smooth soup. It’s fantastic served with garlicky, Italian bread for dipping.
There’s something so comforting about a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. Not to mention a dark, damp day, like it’s been lately, but at least this soup (and the many others I’ve shared ) will help those chilly days seem brighter!
Making this soup is really simple. You can use any squash you like. There are so many around this time of year. I used Sweet Dumpling squash, but you can use Acorn Squash or Butternut Squash too. Whatever you like best.
You start by preparing the squash.
Then saute the onion and celery until soft.
Add the diced squash, honey, and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender.
Remove from heat and using a hand blender, blitz until smooth (adding a bit more stock or water if the soup is too thick). It’s that easy (especially if you buy pre-cut squash)!
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat before serving, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Squash soup can be frozen in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to three months.
- This soup can be made with pumpkin, butternut squash, or any other squash you like.
- For a salty twist, top the soup with bacon and toasted croutons.
- To make prep easier, buy pre-cut squash or frozen and prepared from the grocery store.
- If you don’t have a hand blender, a food processor or blender will work just as well.
UPDATE NOTES: This recipe was originally posted in 2015, but was updated to include step by step photos, Nutrition Facts, and recipe tips.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let's Make Winter Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2.5 pounds winter squash peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parsley (Fresh) chopped to serve (optional)
- Melt the butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and celery, and gently cook until really soft – about 15 mins.
- Add the squash and cook, stirring for 5 mins.
- Add the honey and chicken stock, bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender, blitz until smooth (adding a bit more stock or water if the soup is too thick). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat before serving, sprinkle with chopped parsley.