Come home to a warming bowlful of this filling, low-fat soup recipe for Potato Leek Soup. Everyone loves this super wholesome,soup that’s perfect for an easy meal.
When I first started making this, it was a baby food that I made for my son when he was about 8 months old. I tried it and it was so good, I changed the recipe into a soup.
I make this a lot! It’s one of my signature dishes and my friends & family just love it. I mean they LOVE it. My husband’s cousin recently told me that he dreams of this soup on cold days when he’s working on construction sites. It was a lovely compliment.
It’s also a favorite of mine too. I make it almost all year round. When fall arrives every year, this is one of my go-to dishes!
There’s just something about homemade soup that is so comforting. It just warms the soul!
If you’r a vegetarian, This dish can easily be vegetarian by using vegetable stock.
Potato Leek Soup
- 6 large potatoes peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 large leeks whites only, thoroughly washed
- 3½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ stick butter
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 handful chives chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the leeks and cook over a low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and pour over the stock. Cover and cook for 20 - 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to puree.
- Strain the stock into a separate bowl.
- Add a ladle of the stock at a time and puree the vegetables and stock until it forms a light & creamy consistency.
- Serve hot with the cheese and chives sprinkled on top.