Come home to a warming bowl of this filling, delicious Potato Leek Soup. This homemade soup is simply made with just a handful of ingredients.
For a light supper, serve this comforting soup alongside Tomato Avocado Salad.
A No Cream Potato Leek Soup That’s Creamy and Delicious
This easy potato soup is a favorite of mine and when fall arrives, this is one of my go-to dishes! I love that it’s super creamy without adding any fatty cream. There’s just something about homemade potato soup that is so comforting. It just warms the soul!
This soup is one of my signature dishes and my all friends and family just love it.
Watch How to Make Potato Leek Soup
Why this recipe works:
- The pureed soup creates a creamy consistency without the use of cream or milk.
- It’s cheap to make! All you need is a handful of ingredients.
- No kitchen skills needed – this potato leek soup recipe is as simple as it gets.
How to Make Potato Leek Soup:
Start by prepping cleaning and slicing the leeks. Then, in a large pot, melt the butter. Add the sliced leeks. Cook over low heat until softened.
Add the raw potatoes.
Pour in the stock.
Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to puree.
Puree with a hand blender.
Puree the vegetables and stock until it forms a light, creamy consistency.
Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and chives. Serve and enjoy.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Creamy Celery Soup
- Chinese Noodle Soup
- Split Pea and Ham Soup
- Homemade Lentil Soup
- Yellow Split Pea and Bacon Soup
- When pureeing the soup, add the reserved stock a little at a time. The more stock you add, the thinner the soup will be.
- If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use a food processor or conventional blender too.
- For a light and healthy dinner or lunch, serve this soup with a side salad.
- Make this Potato Leek Soup vegetarian by swapping chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Sprinkle some crumbled feta or goat cheese on top of your soup if you’re not a fan of cheddar.
- Add a grating of nutmeg if you crave a hint of warming spice.
- Add chopped bacon for a whole new soup.
- To make this a low-fat soup, use low-fat margarine and skip the cheese.
How do you freeze potato leek soup? Potato leek soup freezes well. Allow it to cool before freezing (to avoid harmful bacteria, don’t leave to cool at room temperature over an hour ). Then portion it into freezer bags or freezer safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
How long will potato leek soup last in the fridge? When stored properly, Potato Leek Soup will last 2-3 days.
What part of the leek do you use to make soup? When making soup, use the white part of the leek. Trim the base as well as any green tips.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- ½ stick butter
- 4 large leeks whites only, thoroughly washed
- 3 lbs potatoes (about 6 large) peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese optional - to top the soup
- 1 handful chives chopped
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the leeks and cook over a low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and pour over the stock. Cover and cook for 20 - 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to puree.
- Ladle out additional stock until the potatoes are just covered (see image)
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup, ladling in reserved stock until it forms a your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with the cheese and chives sprinkled on top.
- When pureeing the soup, add the reserved stock a little at a time. The more stock you add the thinner the soup will be.
- If you don't have a hand blender, you can use a food processor or conventional blender too.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on: Feb 17, 2016, but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions, cooking tips, and a video in October of 2018.