This recipe for Homemade Lentil Soup is an Italian classic. It’s a delicious, warming and budget-friendly vegetarian soup that’s perfect for lunch or dinner.
I know I’ve posted a few soup recipes lately (and there’s still another to come), but isn’t this that time of year? I am the queen of soups. I just love love it. I always have. I don’t know why, but I especially like vegetarian soups.
Probably because I’m on a constant diet and they are both filling and low in calories. Not to mention delicious. I’m a big fan of anything that’s full of flavor and not guilt.
This homemade soup is hearty, satisfying and simple to make. It’s is great for supper or to pack for lunch. It’s also easy to double the quantities and freeze half for later. Win – win.
This healthy, hearty vegetarian soup is so delicious no one will even miss the meat!
My Homemade Lentil Soup is packed with nutritious ingredients and it’s sure to leave you wanting more! The lentils add both protein and fiber making it filling and satisfying!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb Green lentils
- 3 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 celery stalks chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 14oz can crushed or chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- A good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes before draining.
- In a large stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent - about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the oregano, cumin, celery and carrots and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes - 1 hour, or until the lentils and vegetables are cooked through.
- Check for seasoning and serve.