This recipe for Tomato Pesto Soup with Cheesy Croutons is a delicious soup that can be served hot or cold, making it a soup that can be enjoyed year round!
I’m a big lover of soup – hot soup. I love a big bowl of steaming hot soup – all year round. What I usually don’t ever like is cold soup. That said, this soup is an exception because it really is good cold.
I made it on a cool night and then had it leftover cold the next day when it was just too hot to heat it.
The first time I made this soup, I made cheese on toast to dip into the soup. It was my husband who suggested we cut it up and make it into croutons to put in the soup.
I have to say that between the cheesy croutons and the punch of flavor that the pesto adds, this soup really is incredible!
Even when I eat the soup cold – I always add the croutons warm so the cheese is gooey and soft.
Tomato Pesto Soup with Cheesy Croutons
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 Stalks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Red pesto
- For the croutons:
- 4 slices of thick sliced white bread toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese grated
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn a golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- remove from the heat, add the Parmesan cheese and using a hand blender puree the soup.
- For the Croutons:
- Heat your broiler/grill to medium high heat. Place the toasted bread on a cookie sheet and butter them.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the slices and place under the broiler/grill for 30 seconds to 1 minute (until melted and golden brown)
- Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of red pesto and warm cheesy croutons.