This speedy, simple, Asian recipe for Quick Chinese Shrimp Noodle Soup has maximum flavor with minimum effort. What could be better?
Chinese style noodle soups are an absolute obsession of mine. I love them! They are simple and delicious, the flavors always leave me wanting more! I think it’s just amazing how you can get a flavorful, nourishing meal in so little time.
Why This Recipe Works
- Fresh ingredients make this soup so much healthier than instant noodle soups which are loaded with unnatural ingredients.
- Asian flavors such as soy sauce and fish sauce give it a rich and authentic taste.
- The method is so simple which makes this a soup you will want to make over and over again!
Why This Recipe Works
- Boil your noodles, set aside.
- Add the stock, bok choy, sauces, green onion, and spices to a pan and simmer.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink.
- Combine the soup and noodles.
- Serve and enjoy!
In this Quick Chinese Shrimp Noodle Soup, the flavor has a subtle sweet heat, mixed with the shrimp, it’s a winning combination. Serve with my Best Ever Fried Rice and Chicken Broccoli Sir Fry for a fabulous fakeout feast!
This soup is a little bit sour, sweet and savory in equal measure and the chili flakes add a bit of a kick, but if you’re not a fan of hot spices, you can always leave it out.
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions ❄
- To refrigerate: Noodle soup should always be stored in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for three to four days.
- To Freeze: Soups with noodles or pasta will not store well in the freezer. You can make the broth and freeze that for up to three months, add the shrimp and noodles once you’ve defrosted and warmed up the broth.
Other Great Noodle Dishes
The best noodles to use in noodle soup are egg noodles, wheat ramen noodles or vermicelli noodles. The choice is up to you.
Egg noodles (or any noodles) should be added at the end of any dish so they don’t sit in the liquid too long and become mushy. Just cook according to packet instructions and add right at the end.
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Quick Chinese Shrimp Noodle Soup
- 6 ounces Chinese noodles of your choice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon low sodium dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 green onions
- 1 small head of Bok Choy (Pak choi) chopped or sliced
- 20 raw shrimp cleaned and deveined
- Chilli flakes
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and then drain.
- Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, soy sauces, lime juice, star anise, brown sugar, green onions, and bok choy.
- Bring to the boil and add the shrimp cook until they turn pink and add the noodles.
- Warm through, then pour into a bowl and serve topped with chilli flakes.