This recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting makes super moist and rich cupcakes with a creamy decadent cream cheese frosting that you’ll adore and make again and again!
I have a five-year-old son who is an only child. The happy life of an only child depends on friends coming over to play and joining the family on day trips and outings.
As a parent of an only child, I make it my mission to ensure my son’s friends want to come back again and again. Since he started school at the age of four, I’ve made a point of getting to know his friends and making every visit to my house a special treat.
A year on and I have to say that my mission has been pretty successful. His friends beg their moms on a regular basis to take them to my house (almost to the point of annoyance to their moms) and my house is used as a threat to bad behavior – if you’re not good, you are not going to Erren’s house this week! I love these kids, but love even more that they enjoy coming to play with my boy and in turn, his life isn’t lonely like it could be for an only child.
I made these cupcakes for one of the kids as a special treat when he came for a play date. I even sent his mom home with a bunch when she picked him up (I’m such a feeder) and they were a huge success! Other tried and tested recipes are The Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies and Easy Chocolate Brownies.
I may have shot myself in the foot with all my special treats though. My son’s birthday is at the end of the month and each of his friends has had special requests for the birthday cake. I now find myself planning three different varieties of cupcakes to try to please them all! I guess it’s all in a day’s work for the mom of an only child!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 8-ounces package of cream cheese room temperature
- ¾ cup butter room temperature
- 3 ½-4 cups powdered/icing sugar sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces Dark chocolate chopped, melted and cooled
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 325F/165C and line 24 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and place into a large mixing bowl then mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, then add the sour cream, milk, coffee, oil and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Add the milk mixture all at once to the flour mixture and for 2 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cups, filling to about ¾ full.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool on a rack.
For the frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate. Mix to combine
- Add 3 cups of the sugar and vanilla and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy (adding more of the sugar if necessary).
- Prepare a large piping bag with a large star tip. Spoon the frosting into the piping bag, and pipe spiral twists of frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Chill the cupcakes for at least an hour before serving.