This is a quick and easy recipe for crab cakes that uses canned crab meat instead of fresh, making it something that won’t require running out for fresh seafood. Alternatively, you can use fresh cooked crab meat.
I make these easy crab cakes a lot. Crab cakes aren’t on UK menus very often and I really missed having them. I don’t have anywhere to get fresh crab meat around here so I couldn’t make them myself either.
Then one day I saw a TV chef say that canned crab meat was a good alternative and I went straight to work on creating this dish!
They are so simple to make. You start with 2 cans of lump crab meat.
Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
Form it into a mound and cut into six even sections.
Then shape them as you would thick hamburgers.
Place them on a plate and chill for 30 minutes to set them. I find if you fry them right away, they will flatten. Once firm, coat and fry them.
I serve them with a sweet chili sauce, but you can serve them any way you see fit. The recipe says it serves six, but it only means that it makes six crab cakes.
This is a quick and easy recipe for crab cakes that uses canned crab meat instead of fresh, making it something that won't require running out for fresh seafood. Alternatively, you can use fresh cooked crab meat.
- 3 green onions cut into finely sliced rounds
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Fresh lemon Juice
- 3 6oz cans white crab meat In water or brine, drained
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs for egg wash
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, green onions, chives, parsley, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Add the crab meat & panko brad crumbs, fold into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Divide combined mixture into 6 equal portions and form into thick round cakes.
- Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes. This sets and firms the cakes so they don't flatten when fried
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and season with salt & pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg with the water. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs with paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt & pepper .
- Dredge the crab cakes first in seasoned flour, tapping off excess, then in egg wash, letting excess drip off.
- Dredge cakes into seasoned bread crumbs, coating cakes evenly.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil and pan fry until lightly golden, about 4 minutes on each side.
- place the cakes on paper towels to absorb the oil and season with salt to taste.