This quick and easy recipe for Sweet Lemon Iced Tea will be a summer favorite – It’s so refreshing and and full of fruity flavor!
I love iced tea. They don’t sell mixes here in England and although I find the occasional bottle of Lipton iced tea in the grocery stores, it’s really hard to come by. So I after my first year here, I decided to try my hand at making my own and ever since, I make it all the time.
To make it I use black tea bags, but you can use what ever blend you like.
You’ll notice that the recipe calls for baking soda. I can’t tell you how many people have asked me why it’s listed in the recipe. Here’s why –
This neutralizes the bitterness of the tea and gives it a much smoother taste.
Tip: Add the lemon slices to the glasses when serving instead of to the pitcher.
This keeps the iced tea from becoming cloudy when the lemons start to break down.
I have also made this recipe using other citrus fruits like orange, tangerines, and limes. All of the flavors have been really good so don’t be afraid to play around and create your own!
You can also check out my recipe for Sweet Peach Iced Tea – It’s delicious!
Sweet Lemon Iced Tea
- 3/4 - 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tea bags black tea
- The juice of 4 -6 fresh lemons
- 4 lemons sliced
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- In a large, heat-proof pitcher/jug, combine the boiling water, baking soda & sugar mix well to dissolve the sugar. Add the tea bags and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Add the lemon juice and fill the rest of the pitcher/jug with cold water.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Add lemon slices and ice to a the glasses and pour the tea over the ice and lemon slices to serve.