Indulge yourself with this recipe for Ultimate Chocolate Cake. This heavenly, moist and fudgy is cake is topped with a chocolate ganache icing is perfect for celebrations or just satisfying a chocolate craving.
Chocolate and cake are two of our favourite things, so what’s not to love about this indulgent cake?
This is a foolproof recipe for makes beautiful chocolate cake, studded with extra chunks of chocolate and chocolate ganache icing for an extra decadence.
What could be better than a chocolate cake?
I mean it just makes you happy. Ok, so there might be a few things better than chocolate cake, but I’ll tell you what, in the world of desserts – it’s got to be right up there with ‘There’s nothing better’.
As you probably know, my husband is a chocolate freak. He is like no other chocolate nut I have ever met. He swears he doesn’t have an addictive bone in his body, but I’d love to see that man give up chocolate for a week.
Scratch that – I’m pretty sure he’d be a nightmare to live with!
So with that, you might understand why I am always creating new chocolate recipes.
My Chocolate Brownie recipe his his very favorite thing in the world and although I need to keep my husband happy, baking brownies on a weekly basis wouldn’t give me much to share with you fine people.
I’ve made this cake as both mini cakes as well as a layer cake. I’ve included both versions in the instructions.
I really think I’ve out done myself with this recipe.
This cake is absolutely amazing. It’s rich and moist and best of all, it’s not too sweet so if you want to go ahead and have more than one helping, you can (go ahead – I won’t tell).
Love Chocolate Cake? Check out some of my other recipes…
- 8 oz dark chocolate chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cup/220g brown sugar sugar
- 3/4 cup/170g super fine sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup/55g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium eggs
- 5 tablespoons/75ml Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the frosting:
- cup ½milk
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 ½ sticks butter cubed, 3/4 cup
- 11 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- grated chocolate or curls to decorate
- Grease a 12 section mini loaf pan or two 8in round cake pans.
- Preheat the oven 125F/165C
- place the chopped chocolate and butter into a medium, heavy-based pot and melt over low heat just until everything is melted. Remove from heat.
- then mix the instant coffee into the water and stir into the chocolate mixture.
- In a Separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, white sugar, cocoa powder and salt to get rid of any lumps.
- In another small bowl, Beat the eggs in with the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture and the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until everything is well blended and you have a smooth (be careful not to over mix).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 35 - 45 minutes for the loaf pan or 1 hour 25 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes or until push a cake tester comes out clean (the top should feel firm). Leave to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- If using the loaf pan, When the cakes are cooled , cut them horizontally in half.
- For the frosting: Put the milk, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar and butter in a pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Add the simmering milk mixture and leave to sit for 5 minutes or until the chocolate softens enough to whisk and then whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Let it stand for about 1 hour, whisking now and again occasionally to keep it from becoming too stiff.
- Frost the cooled cakes starting with the top of the bottom layers. Use the remaining frosting to frost the tops of the cake. If the frosting is quite soft once you've iced the cake, you can place it in the refrigerator until its set.
- Decorate with chocolate curls.