Use up your summer tomatoes with this recipe for Roast Tomato and Pea Risotto. This Italian classic is finished off with a splash of balsamic vinegar and grated Parmesan.
Making risotto doesn’t have to mean endless stirring over a hot stove.
This budget-friendly rice dish is flavored with garlic, fresh herbs, and sweet cherry tomatoes. It makes an ideal midweek dinner. We grow cherry tomatoes in a little basket outside our backdoor every year and every year I have more cherry tomatoes than I know what to do with.
I’ve used them to make sauces, salads, quick pasta dishes, but I’ve had yet to do a risotto.
So to start off my cherry tomato recipes this summer, I give you this beautiful, cherry tomato risotto.
This risotto is super simple to make. There’s no endless stirring and messing around. You just roast the tomatoes, and everything else ends up in the same pan. I also make a fantastic Easy Mushroom & Bacon Risotto, it’s easy, why not try this too?
Once you get it going, you just cover it and forget it for 20 minutes.
What could be easier?
At the end, I add a splash of balsamic vinegar. I like the sweet and sour richness it adds to the dish, but that part is completely optional.
Other Italian Food You’ll Love
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Roast Tomato and Pea Risotto
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1½ cups arborio/risotto rice
- 2 cups vegetable/chicken stock hot
- ⅔ cup dry vermouth or white wine
- 1 14-ounces can of crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- A good handful of fresh basil chopped
- a good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- a splash of balsamic vinegar - optional
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 5-7 mins until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Stir in the risotto rice, coating it in the onion mixture.
- Add the vermouth or white wine stirring constantly, until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the stock and Canned tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 10-15 mins. Stir occasionally and add more stock as needed.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400F/200C. Put the cherry tomatoes in a roasting pan, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, season and roast for 10-12 mins until just tender.
- Add the herbs and plenty of seasoning to the risotto. Make sure the rice is completely cooked and the risotto is creamy, about 5 mins more.
- Add the frozen peas and roasted tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic vinegar (if using). Stir to combine. Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.