This easy recipe for Vanilla Cream Sponge Cake is perfect for any celebration. This vibrant cake made with whipped cream icing and fresh berries looks impressive but is super simple to make.
Serve this beautiful cake with Stabilized Whipped Cream that won’t lose its shape or flatten out for days.
This Vanilla Cream Sponge Cake is the perfect dessert to welcome summer! It’s an English inspired, made from scratch, super simple cake that trust me, people won’t soon forget!
If you’re a lover of yellow cake, this recipe is definitely for you! Like a traditional yellow cake, sponge cake should be light, fluffy, and taste of butter and eggs. This cake fits the bill perfectly.
Why This Recipe Works:
- The buttery vanilla flavor of the sponge cake lends a delicious richness.
- The fresh berries and whipped cream icing adds a welcome freshness.
- It’s an easy cake recipe that even the newest bakers can master.
This is my son’s favorite cake. I make it every year for the 4th of July. He calls it ‘Twinkie Cake’. He says that this cake tastes like the best Twinkie you’ll ever have.
He’s right – This cake is what a Twinkie should taste like because it’s made with fresh ingredients and no preservatives.
The cake is my go-to cake recipe. It’s a simple vanilla sponge cake that is absolutely delicious. I also use it for my Victoria Sponge Recipe. It’s a quick and easy recipe that is a real crowd-pleaser and it always comes out perfect!
Here’s How to make it:
Start with creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Add all of the remaining ingredients.
Beat until just combined.
Split the batter between 2 greased 8 inch round pans.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes then remove cake from pan. Meanwhile, prepare the whipped cream by placing all of the ingredients in a food processor (or mixer).
Beat until smooth and thick.
You’ll know it’s ready to use when you run a spoon through it and it doesn’t collapse into the crevice.
It’s that simple! Once the cake is cooled. Place the first layer on a cake plate and top with half the cream.
Place the top layer and top with the remaining cream and arrange the fresh berries however you wish.
You can top it with any fruit you’d like or serve it without. I think it’s perfect for any Patriotic holiday because it’s so simple to arrange and decorate.
Baker’s Tips For Perfect Sponge Cake:
- For best results, line the pans with baking paper and grease well. This is a moist cake that may stick to the pan if not prepared correctly.
- Have your ingredients measured and ready before you begin any mixing. Measure out all the ingredients so that when you start mixing you can work quickly. This prevents over-mixing the cake or leaving the cake mixture sitting too long. If the cake batter stands too long, the cake will start to lose air and result in a flatter cake.
- Always preheat the oven before you start so you don’t leave the batter sitting too long (see above) and arrange the shelves in advance – sponge cake bake best when in the middle of the oven.
- Ensure your ingredients are at room temperature. Cold eggs do not mix as easily and will not hold the same volume of air as room temperature eggs. If the butter is too cold, it won’t mix as well into the sugar and may cause over-mixing, which may result in a heavy cake.
Tips for the perfect whipped cream icing:
- Don’t over-whip – Whip the mixture only until thick. Over whipped cream may flatten faster.
Tips for using fresh fruit on cakes:
- Before using fresh fruit on a cake, be sure to wash the fruit well. Then dry the fruit thoroughly before placing on the cake. Wet fruit can bleed into the frosting and become mushy quicker.
- Arranging the fruit: Add larger fruit first then fill in the decoration by size and finish with smaller berries to fill in gaps.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Vanilla Cream Sponge Cake
For the cake:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour Plain flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
For the cream:
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream UK-Double Cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon skimmed milk powder
- 2 cups mixed berries of your choice.
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (170°C)
- In a mixer or food processor, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until combined.
- Split the batter between 2 greased 8 inch round pans, and bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack for at least 15 minutes then remove cake from pan.
For the cream:
- Add all of the ingredients into a food processor or mixer. Whip until thick (You’ll know it’s ready to use when you run a spoon through it and it doesn’t collapse into the crevice).
- Place one layer of the cooled cake on a cake plate. Cover with half of the cream. Place the second layer on top and cover with the remaining cream. Decorate with berries of your choice.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in June of 2015, but was republished with step by step instructions, new photos, and tips in June of 2018.