This recipe for mozzarella and red pesto grilled cheese is a great spin on traditional grilled cheese with a bit of an Italian twist!
Mozzarella & Green Pesto Grilled Cheese – A Mediterranean Grilled Cheese, loaded with Mozzarella and red pesto! This grilled cheese is outrageously good and deliciously Italian.
This is a recipe you’ll definatly make again! It’s quick, simple, and loaded with an exciting blend of flavors. Oh and if that’s not enough – It’s full of cheese! You’re welcome 🙂
Years ago, I saw Tyler Florence (who I have a bit of a foodie crush on) make a Mozzarella & Green Pesto Grilled Cheese. It looked delicious and I created my own version of that sandwich using chicken as well (which I really need to share with you).
Then Last week, I made my recipe for Angel Hair with Red Pesto Sauce and thought this would be a great spin on Tyler’s original recipe.
It was ooey-gooey and unbelievably good! The pesto makes the difference and I have made with both olive oil and butter. They were both so good that I couldn’t choose which was better so I included them both in the recipe details.
You can also add cooked chicken breast slices to this recipe as well. I promise to do the green pesto & chicken sandwich soon! For now, this one is incredible so I hope you enjoy!
Other Italian Food You’ll Love
- 4 slices thick-cut bread of your choice
- 1 cup red pesto see notes for the link
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cut into 1⁄4-inch slices
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- dried oregano
- extra-virgin olive oil or butter
- Set a cast large skillet over medium heat.
- Assemble sandwich by smearing insides of bread slices with pesto. Arrange a layer of the mozzarella slices then place another piece of bread on top to make the sandwich.
- Sprinkle with bread with a bit of the oregano.
- Drizzle olive oil over pan (or if using margarine, spread it on the outside of the bottom slice) place sandwiches on the hot pan and place another heavy frying pan on top to form a press.
- After 2 to 3 minutes if using butter, spread the butter over the outside of the top piece of bread, flip the sandwich and replace pan on top to weigh it down again.
- The sandwich is ready when browned and the mozzarella has melted around the edges.