This quick and easy recipe for Angel Hair with Red Pesto Sauce is great for a mid-week dinner that could be whipped up in just fifteen minutes.
It’s hard to find a meal that can go from pot to table in just fifteen minutes that’s not just easy, but also delicious! I prefer the rich taste of a red pesto over the strong, peppery taste of green pesto.
Isn’t pesto one of the things ever created? The flavor is so fresh and vibrant! When it’s homemade it’s just explodes with bold flavor.
It’s one of the most simple and delicious pasta sauces, plus its healthy too!
I know most red pesto recipes call for pine nuts, but I created this recipe for a friend who is not only a vegetarian, but also has a nut allergy. If you prefer the pine nuts, it will go fine with this recipe so feel free to add them if you’d like.
I know a lot of people who like a spicy kick so if you’re one that likes a bit a spice, fresh red chili peppers would work really well in this sauce too.
Lastly, for all of you carnivores out there – adding left over chicken or sauteed shrimp to this recipe would also make a wonderful variation.
There are a multitude of ways to adapt it, so feel free and check back to let me know how you liked it!
Angel Hair with Red Pesto Sauce
- 8 oz Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 8 oz package of sun dried tomatoes olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves well packed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves well packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta to the package instructions, but make sure it's still firm to the bite. Reserve a cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and set aside.
- Blend the sun-dried tomatoes along with their oil, garlic, basil and parsley in a food processor and blend until the tomatoes are minced to a thick paste.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan.
- Add the pasta to the pesto, toss to coat, and add enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten to the desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper before serving.