This recipe for Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Icing is indulgent and a dream for any chocolate lover!
You know what I really love about bundt cakes? You can make them look beautiful without much effort. Like my Red Velvet Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Icing that simply decorated with a sprinkling of crumbs from the bottom of the cake. Or my Glazed Apple Bundt Cake that’s baked in a pretty pan and then glazed with a simple clear glaze.
This was the very first chocolate bundt cake recipe that I developed on my own and I have to say that it’s still, by far one of my very favorite chocolate cake recipes.
This Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Icing is perfect because it offers a double dose of chocolate flavor without being too rich or too sweet. It’s moist and fudgy and the smooth frosting is the perfect match adding a creamy richness.
Making it couldn’t be easier – you just add the ingredients to a food processor (or mixer if need be) and blitz to combine!
Fold in the chocolate chips and it’s done!
Bake for 30 minutes, cool and add the frosting. Decorate with extra chocolate chips – it’s that simple!
I had quite a few friends test out the recipe and they all still talk about it! Just sitting here writing about it makes me want to run and make it!
I’ve made it as a layer cake as well for birthdays. When I do that, I make a thicker frosting, frost the whole cake and cover the top with chocolate chips!
It is a sure winner and the kids LOVE it!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
For the cake:
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semisweet/dark chocolate chips
For the frosting:
- 1½ cups butter, Softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons hot water
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350f/180c degrees. Butter a Bundt pan/fluted cake tin. Line bottom with parchment paper; spray paper with non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Dissolve the instant coffee into the warm water. Set aside.
- In a food processor or mixer, mix the together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter, eggs, oil, vanilla and coffee mixture. Beat the mixture until smooth (scraping the edges as you go).
- Finish by folding in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 30 – 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack; remove parchment paper. Leave bottom-side up for icing and cool completely.
For the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients except for the hot water and mix well. Add the hot water one tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency (I make mine quite thick, but thin enough to pour). Pour slowly to top the cake.