This incredibly delicious Chinese-style chicken recipe for Sweet Chilli Chinese Sticky Chicken is sweet, spicy and absolutely fabulous.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I saw in a cooking magazine. That recipe had a simple glaze made from just Chinese sweet Chilli sauce and honey.
I tried making it, but the sauce fell off the chicken and ruined the pan. It seemed like a good idea though, so I decided to create a recipe that built on the original, but with more flavor and stayed on the chicken. to resolve the issue of the sauce not sticking to the chicken, I decided a rub would be the best way to go.
I created a rub with Chinese flavors. I used Chinese five-spice which is available at some grocery stores, but if you have trouble finding it, it’s available here on Amazon.com(As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases)., garlic powder and paprika.
For the sauce, I used sweet chili sauce also available here on Amazon.com,(As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
With the rub, there was a lot more sauce on the chicken than in the pan, but I lined the pan with non-stick foil just to be safe. The rub not only kept the sauce on, but it also added another depth of flavor. The sauce is sticky, sweet, spicy and absolutely fantastic.
We have this dish a lot. As it used ingredients I keep on hand, it’s a quick and satisfying meal to throw together on busy weeknights (I recommend a chopper for the garlic and for grating the ginger, but to save on time, you can always chop them together in a mini food processor).
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Sweet Chilli Chinese Sticky Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs skin on
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice see post for the link to buy
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce see post for link to buy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C
- Line a baking pan with nonstick foil
For the rub:
- In a small bowl mix together all of the spices.
- Coat the chicken thighs evenly with the rub.
- Place on baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce mix together the sweet chilli sauce, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and coat with the sauce. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.