This simple Stir Fry Sauce, made in under 10 minutes, is so delicious it will change the way you look at weeknight dinner preparation!
I absolutely love recreating takeout food at home. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to make my own stir fry sauce. It’s so easy to do and the results are outstanding. You will NEVER want to buy a store-bought jar again!
This stir fry sauce is so versatile you can use it with any stir fry ingredients of your choice. This sauce makes the most of the best Asian flavors, is dairy-free and vegan/vegetarian. You can serve it with vegetables, tofu, beef, chicken, seafood, the choices are endless.
Why This Recipe Works
- Using dark and light soy sauce adds authentic taste without making the sauce too salty.
- Rice wine vinegar and rice wine add brightness and depth of flavor.
- Easy to find ground spices are a convenient option that store longer than fresh ingredients making it a sauce that can be stored and used multiple times.
Cornstarch (AKA cornflour) – thickens when heated making it an easy option for a silky finish.
Chinese Five-Spice – a spice mix that’s usually made up of fennel, cinnamon, anise seeds, cloves, and white pepper. It adds an authentic flavor profile.
Garlic Powder & Ground Ginger – I use the powder instead of fresh as it has a longer shelf life and won’t go bad. I then add the fresh to the stir-fry when cooking.
Dark Soy Sauce – Good quality brands of dark soy sauce should not contain salt. It’s mainly used for color and a little flavor. Be sure to check the bottle and leave it out if it contains salt.
Soy Sauce – I use low sodium soy sauce, but this is a personal choice. If you use regular soy sauce, cut the mesaurement in hlaf and add more to taste when cooking.
Rice Wine – I use Shaoxing wine. I think it’s the key to making dishes taste as it does in a Chinese restaurant. It’s worth buying if you cook a lot of Asian food, but can be substituted with cooking sherry.
Rice Wine Vinegar – is used to heighten flavors. If you don’t have it, replace it with plain white wine vinegar.
Sesame Oil – I don’t use it in this dish as cooking oil, but more of an Asian flavor enhancer. It’s not essential so if you don’t have it, you can leave it out.
White Pepper – This is commonly used in Asian cooking. It adds spicy heat to the recipe. If you don’t have it you can substitute it with regular ground black pepper.
How to Make Stir Fry Sauce
- Mix the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine well.
- Add to an airtight jar or bottle and store in the fridge until ready to use.
Step by Step Instructions
Start by adding the dry ingredients to a small bowl or jug.
Add the wet ingredients.
Mix together until combained.
Pour into a jar and store in the fridge until ready to use!
Use in your favorite stir fry.
Erren’s Top Tips
- Spices lose flavor with age. Be sure to replace them every six months or so for the best possible flavor.
- Good quality brands of dark soy sauce should not contain salt. It’s mainly used for color and a little flavor. Be sure to check the bottle and leave it out if it contains salt.
- For Chinese five-spice I use this one which is available on Amazon.com or in the UK, I used this one (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases)
Make ahead & Storing Instructions 🍶
- This recipe makes approximately 8oz of sauce which usually is enough for two stir-fry dishes.
- Store in an airtight bottle in the refrigerator or jar for up to 2 weeks.
You can use hoisin or fish sauce instead of soy sauce in a stir fry. If you have a sensitivity to any ingredient you can use dietary replacements and it will still taste great!
There are many other ways to thicken your sauce including arrowroot, potato starch, tapioca flour and rice flour.
There are no limits on how to flavor your stir fry, adding lemongrass, basil, any herb or spice you choose. You can make it your own.
You can keep your homemade sauce in a jar in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can freeze the sauce for up to three months in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Thaw thoroughly before use.
Other Great Asian Recipes
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add to a air tight container, bottle or jar and store in the fridge until ready to use.