This recipe for Sticky Chinese Chicken makes deliciously sticky, chicken with a honey soy glaze that everyone will love. This dish is perfect for casual entertaining.
I love Asian food. It’s packed full of flavor and simple to make. What better combination is there? I had some drum sticks planned to use to make my Oven Fried Chicken recipe with but didn’t realize I was out of bread crumbs.
I had to think fast so I took a quick inventory of what I had on hand and decided to try making my Slow Cooker Honey Soy Glazed Chicken with chicken on the bone and baking it instead of using the crock-pot.
The only thing I changed was adding a little fresh ginger to the sauce. The end result was tender chicken legs coated in a lip-smacking glaze that was perfect for a week night dinner. My family loved it and I hope your’s does too!
Here’s how I did it:
To make this recipe, start with searing the chicken.
Be sure to brown the meat on all sides.
Once the chicken was brown on all sides, I removed it from the pan and started baking them in a separate pan for 15 minutes. While they baked, I made the sauce and then coated the chicken, returned it to the oven and baked another 15 minutes (turning it once and covering it a second time with the sauce 1/2 way through).
It’s that easy! Serve and enjoy!
This dish goes great with my Best Ever Fried Rice recipe.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Sticky Chinese Chicken
Juicy chicken braised with a honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic makes a succulent dish for Chinese feast.
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 chicken legs or thighs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 4 green onions sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup light soy sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce true dark soy sauce should not be salty it's more for color & some flavor
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Coat the chicken in the cornstarch and season chicken with a salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Brown the chicken on all sides. Remove from the pan and place the chicken in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, start the sauce in the same pan you brown the chicken in. If needed, add the rest of the oil to the pan. Quickly saute the green onions, garlic and ginger together for about a minute just to soften and release the flavors.
- Lower the heat and add the honey, dark & light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and black pepper. Mix until combined. Slowly add the water and stir to combine. Mix in the brown sugar stirring until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat.
- After the chicken bakes for 15 minutes, pour the sauce over the chicken and coat thoroughly.
- Return the chicken to to the oven and bake another 15 minutes, turning the chicken and cover with sauce again if needed half way through.
- After 15 minutes, make sure the chicken is cooked through. If not, turn again, cover with the sauce and bake until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy.