This recipe for Sticky Chinese Chicken makes deliciously sticky, chicken with a honey soy glaze that everyone will love. This dish is perfect for casual entertaining.
Serve with my Best Ever Fried Rice for a better than takeout dinner at home.
I love Asian food. It’s packed full of flavor and simple to make. What better combination is there? I had some drumsticks which I planned to use to make my Oven Fried Chicken recipe with but didn’t realize I was out of breadcrumbs.
I had to think fast so I took a quick inventory of what I had on hand and decided to try making my Slow Cooker Honey Soy Glazed Chicken with chicken on the bone and baking it instead of using the crock-pot.
My Sticky Chinese Chicken recipe was born. I know you’re going to love this as much as I do!
Why This Recipe Works
- Fresh ginger adds a delicious kick to the sauce.
- Honey helps make the sauce a silky texture and gives you a lip-smacking glaze that can’t be beat
- Using low sodium soy sauce cuts the saltiness and balances the flavors perfectly.
How to make sticky chinese chicken
- Sear the chicken, brown on both sides.
- Bake the chicken for 15 minutes.
- Make the sauce.
- Add the baked chicken to the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Step by Step Instructions
Sear the chicken.
Brown the meat on all sides.
Once the chicken brown on all sides, remove it from the pan and bake them in a separate pan for 15 minutes.
While the chicken bakes make the sauce and then coated the chicken, return it to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes (turning it once and covering it a second time with the sauce 1/2 way through).
It’s that easy! Serve and enjoy!
Soy sauce is high in sodium, which is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure but is lower in sodium than table salt. I like to use a low sodium brand which makes it healthier.
You can store the sticky chinese chicken in an airtright container in the fridge for up to three days. Freeze in an freezer-safe container for up to four months (defrost thoroughly before reheating).
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Sticky Chinese Chicken
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 chicken legs or thighs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 4 green onions sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup light soy sauce or low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup dark soy sauce true dark soy sauce should not be salty it’s more for color & some flavor
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Coat the chicken in the cornstarch and season chicken with a salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Brown the chicken on all sides. Remove from the pan and place the chicken in a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, start the sauce in the same pan you brown the chicken in. If needed, add the rest of the oil to the pan. Quickly saute the green onions, garlic, and ginger together for about a minute just to soften and release the flavors.
- Lower the heat and add the honey, dark & light soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and black pepper. Mix until combined. Slowly add the water and stir to combine. Mix in the brown sugar stirring until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat.
- After the chicken bakes for 15 minutes, pour the sauce over the chicken and coat thoroughly.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake another 15 minutes, turning the chicken and cover with sauce again if needed halfway through.
- After 15 minutes, make sure the chicken is cooked through. If not, turn again, cover with the sauce and bake until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy.