This Spaghetti with Spinach Sauce recipe is a super simple, quick, healthy and really flavorful.
If you’re after some hearty comfort food on a budget then this vegetarian pasta is just the thing.
You can add leftover chicken or frozen cooked shrimp for the meat eaters in the family as well. I’ve had readers report back that they’ve used anything from salmon to pistachios as variations. Don’t be afraid to add your own personal touch to this easily adapted recipe.
The lovely, leafy spinach in this recipe makes for a flavorsome and intriguing bright green pasta that even kids will want to dive into!
Case in point:
My son’s friend came over today for a play date and as soon as he got here he asked me what we were having for dinner. I told him what I had planned and he said, ‘Can we please have that green spaghetti you make? That’s well good; I love it!’
How could I say no to that?
Luckily, it’s so easy to make, it was really no trouble at all and he was really happy!
This recipe is the perfect example of how you can hide veggies in food to trick the kids into eating them, because other wise, he wouldn’t touch a bowl full of spinach!
I use fresh spinach, but I’m sure frozen would work just as well. I also use a food processor, but a blender would also work if you add the pasta water in before blending.
Want more Spaghetti? Try my Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 8oz bags of fresh baby spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8oz spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese plus more for serving
- Heat the olive oil In a large deep frying pan on medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook to soften but not quite brown.
- Add the spinach and saute with the garlic until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Reserve a cup of the pasta water before draining. Drain, and set aside.
- Add the spinach and garlic mixture to a food processor or blender with the cheese and half of the pasta water. Puree until it forms a sauce (adding more pasta water if needed).
- Add the and sauce back onto the pan to combine and heat through, again adding more pasta water if needed.
- Once heated through, taste and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.serve sprinkled with extra grated cheese.