This recipe for Skinny Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce is a fail-safe pasta dish that will prove that low fat doesn’t mean lack of flavor. This vegetarian recipe is the perfect solution when you want something quick and tasty. Not only that, but it’s a cream sauce with a lot less guilt!
I LOVE cream sauces, but with they are packed with calories and fats so as much as I’d like to make them all the time, I tend to limit how often I make them.
I found a guilt free way of making cream sauce so I no longer have to limit how often I make it! I’ve started using low fat half and half and cooking spray instead of heavy cream and butter.
Now I know this isn’t a fat free dish. I think it would be impossible to make a fat free version because that would require skipping the Parmesan cheese, and to me that would be totally unacceptable!
To make it, heat a large pan coated in low fat cooking spray and saute the onion until soft (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for about a minute more.
Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
Add the half and half and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste and cook on low heat another few minutes.
Coat the slightly under cooked pasta and add a little pasta water to loosen if need be. Once the pasta is desired softness, serve hot with grated cheese.
It’s that easy!
This Skinny Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce may be low fat, but I promise it tastes absolutely amazing!
Skinny Spaghetti with Tomato Cream Sauce
Dig into a comforting bowl of creamy pasta, safe in the knowledge that it's low fat too. It's a no guilt meal that's sure to please!
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- Salt AND Pepper to taste
- A pinch of sugar optional
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- Grated Parmesan Or Romano Cheese to taste
- Fresh parsley Chopped
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- Start your pasta water and cook until just under cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan coated in low fat cooking spray and saute the onion until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute more (being careful not to let it get too dark).
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and if you need to cut down on acidity, add a pinch of sugar.
- Add the half and half and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste and cook on low heat another few minutes.
Drain the pasta (reserving some of the pasta water)and add it to the pan with the sauce. Coat the pasta and add a little pasta sauce to loosen if need be.
- Serve hot once the pasta is desired softness.