This vegetarian pasta dish is the perfect solution when you want something quick and tasty. Not only that, but it’s a cream sauce with a lot less guilt!
I LOVE cream sauces, but with they are packed with calories and fats so as much as I’d like to make them all the time, I tend to limit how often I make them.
I found a guilt free way of making cream sauce so I no longer have to limit how often I make it! I’ve started using low fat half and half and cooking spray instead of heavy cream and butter.
Now I know this isn’t a fat free dish. I think it would be impossible to make a fat free version because that would require skipping the Parmesan cheese, and to me that would be totally unacceptable!
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- Salt AND Pepper to taste
- A pinch of sugar optional
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- Grated Parmesan Or Romano Cheese to taste
- Fresh parsley Chopped
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- Start your pasta water and cook until just under cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan coated in low fat cooking spray and saute the onion until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook for about a minute more (being careful not to let it get too dark).
- Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook, uncovered, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Taste the sauce and if you need to cut down on acidity, add a pinch of sugar.
- Add the half and half and Parmesan cheese. Season to taste and cook on low heat another few minutes.
- Drain the pasta (reserving some of the pasta wateand add it to the pan with the sauce. Coat the pasta and add a little pasta sauce to loosen if need be.
- Serve hot once the pasta is desired softness.