This quick and easy recipe for Spaghetti With Mushroom Tomato Sauce is a simple vegetarian pasta dish which will see you through many a weeknight meals.This recipe is definitely one of my new favorites! You can never go wrong with mushrooms, garlic and wine. Put all that together with a good amount of spaghetti, add in a tomato sauce and you get this simple yet hearty and satisfying Italian dinner!
I have a friend who is a vegetarian and I’m always creating new recipes for her when she comes over for dinner, but quite often those meals end up being meals I make for my family as well because they are so speedy and simple to make, and this pasta is one of the easiest dinners I make on a regular basis.
If you’re a fan of mushroom sauces, I also do a recipe for Creamy Mushroom Spaghetti. It’s a family favorite.
I often add leftover chicken to it and it’s a real hit around here.
What makes cremini mushroom such a power player in this dish is that, for vegetarians like my friend, they can still get that meaty richness, without actually having to eat meat!
In any dish, if a recipe calls for meat, you can substitute it with mushrooms to satisfy even the pickiest of vegetarians!
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little for drizzling at the end
- 1 shallot chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz cremini mushroom sliced
- 1 cup wine red or white whatever you prefer
- 1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
- a good handful fresh parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water seasoned with salt to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the directions on the box until al dente. Before draining reserve a half cup of cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the shallot; cook until light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic cook another minute to soften. Add mushrooms; cook until they release their liquid and it evaporates (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Add wine, tomatoes and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium; cook until the consistency of a thick sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the drained spaghetti to the skillet with the tomato sauce, toss until coated. If it seems too thick, add pasta water as needed to loosen and serve.