This luxurious Skinny Creamy Asparagus Chicken recipe makes a light, low-calorie super indulgent dish that’s ready in just 20 minutes!
This amazing dish was never meant to be a blog post! I made this for dinner and it was so good I had to share it with you! It may lack my usual quality pictures, but boy you should not miss out on this! I love chicken and asparagus and I wanted to make it a little more healthy, this is how Skinny Creamy Chicken Asparagus was born!
I love asparagus, but I don’t make it very often. Every time I do, I almost without fail always say how I should make it more often. I have another amazing asparagus recipe, so if you like this one, why not check out my Shrimp and Asparagus Saffron Risotto, indulge yourself!
Why This Recipe Works
- Replacing heavy cream with a low-fat cream means less guilt but the same great taste.
- Sauteeing the onion and garlic ensures the flavor is locked into the silky sauce.
- Using fresh parsley adds a subtle garnish to this tasty dish.
asparagus buying guide
Whether you’re buying it in season or not, here’s what to look for when you’re buying fresh asparagus.
- Choose Perfect Buds – The tips are the star of the show and have the best flavor, so be sure they’re firm, compact, and deep green.
- Look For Plump Firm Stalks that release juice when pricked with a fingernail.
- Choose Vibrant Colors – Whether it’s green, purple, or white, Make sure the color is strong and not faded.
- For Even Cooking choose stalks that are similar in size and thickness.
How to make skinny Creamy Asparagus Chicken
- Season and fry the chicken until browned.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in olive oil
- Pour over the stock and simmer.
- Add the asparagus, cream, and parsley.
- Serve on a bed of rice.
Step By Step Instructions
Brown the chicken.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for around 5 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and let it simmer another 5-7 minutes
Sprinkle in the parsley.
Add the asparagus and low-fat cream, cook for about 3 more minutes.
Thicker asparagus may need to cook longer so cooking times may vary. Test for tenderness before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
Make ahead and Freezing Instructions ❄
- Refrigerate the cooked chicken asparagus in an airtight container for up to three days. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
- Freeze the dish for up to three months. When reheating stir the sauce frequently to avoid the sauce curdling.
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Skinny Creamy Asparagus Chicken
- 4-6 skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups chicken stock
- a good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- 6 ounces asparagus trimmed
- ¼ cup low fat cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chicken with salt & black pepper. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Gently fry the chicken until brown.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes until soft.
- Pour over the stock, and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 5 mins, then add the asparagus, cream, and parsley and cook for 3 mins more minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve on rice or side of your choice