This recipe for speedy potato salad with olives & green onions proves that homemade is so much better than store-bought. Not only that, but it can be quick & easy too!
This is by far my favorite potato salad. I serve it a lot in the warmer months with cold, roasted chicken legs and corn on the cob, but it’s perfect for barbecues and picnics as well. I love a picnic and this dish goes brilliantly with Tomato Avocado Salad and 10 Minute Greek Style Cous Cous Salad with Feta, to make the best picnic spread ever!
After cooking, I rinse the potatoes with cold water until cool to the touch and with just a few added ingredients, it’s ready to serve in minutes.
Why this recipe works:
- Uses baby potatoes that don’t require peeling. With just a quick wash and then cut in half, they are ready to cook.
- The saltiness of the olives and crunch of the celery makes this a pleasing side dish that everyone will love.
- Need a side dish in a hurry? This potato salad with olives & green onions is made in under 20 minutes.
- Use a rainbow potato medley for a delicious and colorful salad.
- Add cooked chicken to make this into a main meal.
- For a lower fat option, use low-fat mayonnaise.
Food Safety For Warmer Weather:
- To prevent rapidly growing bacteria from forming, food shouldn’t be unrefrigerated for more than 2 hours or limit the time to one hour if the outdoor temperature is higher than 90° F.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 20-25 baby white potatoes, halved (or you can use 6 regular sized red potatoes, cubed)
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- ½ cup yogurt, Greek or regular
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook potatoes in salted, boiling water (on medium-high heat) until just done but not falling apart (about 8 minutes). Drain and rinse with cold water until cool to the touch. Set aside to dry while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Once cool, add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the celery, green onion and olives. Gently stir until evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, and mustard until smooth and even.
- Add mayonnaise mixture to the potato mixture and gently mix until evenly incorporated.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in May of 2015, but was republished with tips in July of 2018.