This fast, flavorful authentic Healthy Low Fat Fried Rice, is low fat and as easy on the eye as it is on the tongue. Simple and tasty!
The Easiest Low-Fat Healthy Fried Rice You Will Ever Serve Up
Who doesn’t love a simple, healthy low-fat side dish? This recipe is so easy you will be wondering why you’ve never made it before. This low-fat fried rice is good for you, without forfeiting flavor. What more could you want?
Why This Recipe Works
- The method of cooking keeps it healthy, without losing any flavor.
- This low-fat fried rice is the perfect side dish for any Asian style meal
- You can use leftover cooked rice, making this a thrifty weeknight dish
- The spices are mild and kid-friendly, no complaining about it being too spicy.
What is the best rice to use for fried rice?
Medium-long grain rice works best for this dish, jasmine rice is perfect as it comes out light and fluffy.
Brown rice doesn’t work so well as it tends to be chewy, and you’re looking for a light-textured rice that will soak up all the flavor.
What dishes can I eat healthy fried rice with?
You can serve this low-fat chicken fried rice with vegetables, egg roll or any Chinese or Asian style curry. You can even eat it with salad, it’s so versatile.
How to Make Healthy Fried Rice
Heat low-fat cooking spray in a non-stick skillet.
Pour in the eggs and scramble.
Scrape out the eggs and set aside. Add the anchovy paste and spring onions.
Once the onions have softened slightly, add the rice and heat.
Serve and enjoy!
You can make this healthy dish with cooked pork or beef
This recipe is equally good if you like it plain, with no meat.
You can substitute the anchovy paste with umeboshi paste, this makes the dish vegan/vegetarian for those non-meat eating guests.
- What is the best pan to use for cooking egg fried rice: A non-stick wok or pan is best as the last thing you want is your ingredients sticking to the pan in between cooking steps
- Why do you remove the egg and add it again later: Removing the egg and adding it later stops the egg from overcooking and becoming rubbery in texture.
- Can low-fat egg fried rice be kept in the fridge: Rice should usually be served as soon as it is cooked. If you can’t do that, make sure the rice has cooled before refrigerating. Do not refrigerate for more than one day. Make sure the rice is steaming hot before serving.
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Low-Fat Chicken Fried Rice
- Low-fat cooking spray
- 3 eggs plus 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups long-grain rice cooked and chilled
- 7 water chestnuts sliced
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce or more depending on taste
- 1 tablespoon light-dark soy sauce
- 2 spring onions trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup leftover or cooked chicken or whatever meat you want to use
- Heat a non-stick wok until hot and coat with cooking spray.
- Pour in the eggs and scramble, scraping the bits that stick to the wok. Once cooked, remove from the wok and set aside.
- Add a bit more cooking spray to the wok. Add spring onions and anchovy paste and heat through.
- Add the rice, scraping the bottom of the wok and tossing the rice until it's heated through.
- Once the rice is hot, add the remaining ingredients (including the eggs), Continue to cook over medium heat, mixing continuously for 2- 3 minutes.
- Taste and season with pepper and any additional soy sauce that may be needed.