This recipe for Chinese Chicken and Broccoli in a brown sauce is quick, easy and on the table in just 30 minutes – what more could you ask for?
This healthy version of a takeout favorite combines chicken, super healthy broccoli, garlic, and ginger for a delicious, weeknight dinner.
Making Chinese food from scratch isn’t at all complicated.
Whether you’re new to cooking or a seasoned cook, this Chinese chicken and broccoli recipe can be made in your kitchen to serve up a simple dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Start with steaming the broccoli until it’s just under cooked (you’ll be adding it at the end to finish it off).
Next, hat the wok and brown the chicken on all sides.
I use chicken thighs because it’s juicier and full of flavor. Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the wok and set aside.
Add some oil to the wok and stir fry garlic, green onions and ginger (being careful not to let it get too dark).
Put the chicken back in the wok. Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and hot water.
Bring to a boil.
Drizzle with some of the honey, cover and simmer, turning & drizzling with honey now and again for 7-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduced.
Return the broccoli to the wok and toss with the sauce until fully cooked.
It’s that simple. Serve and enjoy!
Impress your guests by serving this dish with my best ever fried rice for a real authentic tasting meal that’s completely homemade!
- For an added crunch and texture, add some unsalted cashews or water chestnuts.
- Add mushrooms, carrots and snow peas to create a whole new dish that’s just as easy.
- Serve with brown rice for an extra healthy meal.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in 2014, but was updated in 2017 with slight changes to the recipe as well as including step by step photos as well as nutritional information.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Chinese Chicken & Broccoli
Make this easy Chinese favorite at home -Made with garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey it's cheaper and much more flavorful than take out.
- 1 large Head of Broccoli cut into florets
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3 green/spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons light soy sauce (extra to taste)
- 6 Tablespoons honey approximately
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- Steam or saute the broccoli to the softness just a bit firmer than you prefer & set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add a bit of oil. Add the chicken and brown on all sides to seal the meat. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Fry the garlic, spring onion and ginger for 30 seconds in the hot wok, adding a little more oil if necessary, tossing now and then.
Put the chicken back in the wok. Add the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and the hot water and bring to a boil. Drizzle with some of the honey, cover and simmer, turning & drizzling with honey now and again for 7-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce reduced.
Add the broccoli and toss with the sauce until cooked through