This easy recipe for Italian Style Rice uses roasted eggplant, zucchini, onions and red peppers creating a delicious side dish or vegetarian supper anyone would enjoy.
This Italian Rice really is super easy to make and it tastes like the rice you’d get from a restaurant. I have tried creating several different recipes for Italian Style Rice and this one is definitely my favorite.
I’ve tried tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes in the rice but I think the key to a bowl of great Italian rice is the canned tomatoes and fresh garlic.
I also tried sauteing the vegetables, but find the easiest and quickest way is to just pop them in the oven and roast them. This gives them a real rustic look and flavor.
I make this recipe a lot and use it for a side dish or a quick family meal. I hope you love this rice and that it becomes a staple in your home as well.
Here’s how to make it:
Toss the eggplant cubes, zucchini, pepper, chopped onion, and tomato with the oil, in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 – 25 minutes (until the vegetables are fully cooked).
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a sauce pan add the garlic and cook it starts to brown.
Mix in the tomatoes, oregano, stock, and seasoning. Add the rice and bring to boil.
Lower the heat to low heat, cover and simmer 15 -20 minutes until the rice is tender.
Add the roasted vegetables and parsley. Taste for seasoning and serve.
- This recipe uses white rice but you can use brown rice if you’d like (just refer to the package instructions for cooking time and liquid measurements)
- Easily transform this dish into a Spanish rice dish by omitting the eggplant and zucchini and adding saffron to the stock.
- Add chicken or seafood to make this dish a non-vegetarian main meal
- Short on time? To make this recipe even easier, instead of sauteing garlic and using stewed tomatoes, use a cup of ready made marinara or spaghetti sauce.
Other Italian Food You’ll Love
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
For the roasted vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 1 bell pepper, red, yellow, or, orange, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut into bite-sized pieces
For the rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, or chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- A good handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oven to 400F/200C Toss the eggplant cubes, zucchini, pepper, chopped onion, and tomato with the oil, in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 - 25 minutes (until the vegetables are fully cooked)
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan add the garlic and cook it starts to brown.
- Mix in the tomatoes, oregano, stock, and seasoning. Add the rice and bring to boil. Lower the heat to low heat, cover and simmer 15 -20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Add the roasted vegetables and parsley. Taste for seasoning and serve.