This recipe for Double Chocolate Chip Muffins makes light, fluffy chocolate muffins dotted with chocolate chips. Breakfast just got better!
These simple to prepare chocolate, chocolate chip muffins are light, fluffy and truly decadent treat!
I created this recipe for the beautiful Ryan who cuts my hair. He wanted to make some double chocolate chip muffins so he went to my site for a recipe and because I hadn’t posted one, he had to go somewhere else.
That is a crying shame, but when he told me they weren’t exactly what he was looking for, I knew I had to try coming up with a recipe for him.
Let me tell ya, these muffins are wonderful!! They are just the right texture for a muffin and are absolutely chock-full of chocolate chips.
The best part of this recipe is how easy it is to throw together. No need to break out the mixer – all you need is a bowl and wooden spoon!
I’ve tweaked and tweaked this recipe for the better part of the last few months and finally have decided they are just right! So I hope you like them, Ryan 🙂
Here’s how to make Double Chocolate Chip Muffins:
In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate large bowl, blend egg, milk, vanilla and oil. Mix in the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon equally into 12 muffin cases or greased sections.
Bake 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
These muffins are wonderful eaten when warm.
- Be careful not to over-mix muffin batter. It’s best not to use an electric mixer if it doesn’t have a very low setting. Beating the batter will produce tough muffins instead of light and fluffy.
- Try using a large ice cream scoop to fill the cups to keep them uniform in size.
- If you have the time, for extra flavor substitute the oil with melted butter.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Award Winning Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Cornbread Muffins
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let's Make Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1¼ cups All-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated or super-fine sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F/200C. Prepare a 12 section muffin pan with muffin cases.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, blend together egg, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Mix the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon equally into 12 muffin cases. Bake 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in January of 2016, but was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, step by step instructions and baking tips in April of 2018.