This rich and sumptuous recipe for Double Chocolate Bundt Cake is the perfect cake for chocolate lovers.
It’s a brownie like cake that’s dotted with chocolate chips, topped with a chocolate, condensed milk icing and scattered with more chocolate chips – a chocolate lovers dream!
I made this cake for my six year old son to cheer him up after a bad day. He was supposed to go to a friend’s house after school, but the friend ended up home sick.
Most of my son’s friends have parents that work and since I work from home, we often have his friends here, but he rarely get’s to go to their houses. He was really excited and even though his friend was absent that day, he still thought his mom would be waiting for him when he came out of school.
When he walked out and saw his dad instead, he threw himself on the ground in tears. When he got home he came in with his head hanging low, went straight to his room and shut the door behind him (ignoring my attempts to comfort him).
I came up with this recipe as soon as I heard his plans had fallen through (knowing he’s need some chocolate to lift his spirits). His face brightened when he saw it and with one bite, he announced that ‘This cake is the best thing in life!’ I’d say it was a success.
The cake is a cross between a cake and a brownie. It’s denser than a cake, but not as fudgey as a brownie, but it’s truly delicious. The icing is made with condensed milk, butter and melted chocolate making the perfect topping for this indulgent cake. We ate the cake warm and it was fantastic, but it was just as good left over the next day so you can serve it how ever you prefer.
I made the cake using the an eight inch pan. If you’re in the US, you can get one like mine here from Amazon. I have to say I was really impressed because with just a light coating of Wilton’s Cake Release (which you can also get on Amazon here cake pans – If you’re in the UK, click here), the cake came out of the pan by doing nothing but flipping the pan over onto the cooling rack. I have never had so little trouble with a bundt pan before!
- 1 1/4 cups Butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons strong coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- For the topping:
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi sweet/dark chocolate chips plus extra to scatter on top
- Grease an 8 inch bundt pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Beat together the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, coffee and vanilla until smooth.
- Ad the eggs, then beat until combined.
- With a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour, cocoa, salt baking powder & baking soda.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, add to the greased pan and bake for 40 -45 mins until risen all over and a cake tester comes out with a few damp crumbs.
- For the top, gently heat the butter and sugar together until both are melted. Stir in the condensed milk and vanilla and cook until it just starts to bubble.
- Add the chocolate chips ans stir until melted. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally to keep smooth.
- You can pour it over the cake and scatter with more chocolate chips while both are still warm and serve it warm or let it cool before serving,