This Citrus and Olive Oil Bundt Cake recipe is dairy-free, olive oil keeps this cake moist and the whipped eggs make it beautifully fluffy.
Flavor this cake with any citrus flavors you want to, it’s so versatile everyone will love it!
This wonderful recipe came about after I had a friend round for coffee one day. My friend is lactose intolerant and rarely gets to eat cake so I developed this recipe with her in mind.
I’ve seen a lot of recipes that use olive oil in place of butter and milk. I’ve had a couple and found them a bit dense so I decided to try whipping the eggs to make it lighter. Let me tell you, I am really pleased with the result.
Why This Recipe Works
- Whipping the eggs helps to make this cake super light and not dense like some dairy-free cakes.
- Flavoring this cake with citrus fruit you have on your hands makes it a convenient and tasty baking option.
- A little salt cuts the sweetness giving a perfect balance.
This cake is super light and packed full of citrus flavor. I had oranges, lemons, and tangerines on hand so that’s what I used for the juices, and for the rind, I used orange and lemon, but I’m guessing lime would work as well. You can use whatever you have on hand, but make sure you use enough rind.
How to make citrus & olive oil bundt cake
- Whisk the sugar, eggs, and citrus zest until light and fluffy.
- Add the fruit juice and olive oil until combined.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and baking powder until combined.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Drizzle with the simple glaze.
- Serve and enjoy!
The first time I made it, the flavor was a bit flat so I doubled the rind for my second trial run. It turned out perfect.
For the glaze, I used a simple mixture of citrus juice and powdered sugar. You don’t miss the milk or butter one bit!
If you know someone who can’t eat dairy, this is a perfect solution! My friend was thrilled with it, so if you know someone who can’t have dairy products, give them a treat with this fabulous cake.
Other Great Bundt Cakes
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Citrus and Olive Oil Bundt Cake
- 1½ cups of superfine sugar/granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of citrus zest I used 1 orange and 1 lemon
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed citrus juice I used 1 orange 1 lemon and 5 tangerines
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
For the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of fresh citrus juice I used 4 tangerines
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F/180C
- Generously grease a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Place the sugar, eggs, and zest in a bowl and whisk (about 8-10 minutes) until thick and pale.
- Add the juice and olive oil until combined.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking powder and mix until just combined (do not over mix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes until carefully turning out onto the rack to cool completely.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the sugar and enough juice to make a drizzling consistency until smooth.
- Drizzle onto the cooled cake.