This Easy One Bowl Lemon Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting was a product of four ingredients I had to use because they weren’t at their freshest – blueberries, buttermilk, cream cheese, and lemons.
I love a challenge like this! Just a few random items and see where they can take you.
The best part of this recipe is how simple it is to make! You just throw everything (besides the blueberries) into a bowl and mix! Then you just fold in the blueberries – how easy is that??
These little beauties are truly delectable! The icing is so good that I could eat it on its own! I made mine quite soft so it didn’t need a lot of sugar and it was almost like cheesecake! Combine that with this amazing cake and you’ll be making them again as soon as they’re gone! I have lots of lovely blueberry recipes, why not try my Best Blueberry Cake Ever or Blueberry Lemon Shortbread Tart? You’ll never pass by blueberries at the supermarket again!
I started by coating the blueberries with a bit of flour to keep them from sinking, but the batter is quite thick so I doubt they would have sunk too much.
Tools I used
I made them using a mini Bundt Pan. If you’re in the US, you can one like mine from Amazon, here (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). If you’re in the UK, click here (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). They are really adorable, but if you want to use a muffin pan instead, it will work fine (you may just have to add a few minutes to the cooking time).
If you do get the pan which is amazing just make sure you grease it really well. I use Cake Release which is also available here on Amazon(As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). If you’re in the UK, click here, (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). I couldn’t live without it! The cakes come out really easy!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let's Make Easy One Bowl Lemon Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- The zest of 1 lemon (about a tablespoon) finely grated
- The juice of 1½ lemons
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries
- yellow food coloring for color optional
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- 2-4 tablespoons lemon juice warmed
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC
- Prepare the pan by greasing it with butter or cake release (see post)
- In a large mixing bowl (or food processor), beat together the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, zest, buttermilk, food coloring (if using) and juice until smooth and thoroughly blended.
- Fold in the blueberries
- Fill the pan sections evenly with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely in the pan before removing from the pan.
- Remove a small bit from the bottom of the cake and crumble it onto a small plate and set aside to use as decoration later (see photo).
- For the Icing: Make sure cream cheese and butter are at room temperature or the icing will be lumpy. Blend the cream cheese and butter in a medium mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add the lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time until the icing is the desired consistency and can be poured (I like mine quite thick).
- Pour the icing over the cooled cakes and use the cake crumbs to decorate by sprinkling them over the icing.