This recipe for Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake is an easy yet indulgent side dish that’s a real crowd-pleaser! It’s so good that the kids will love it and ask for it time and time again!
Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower – comfort food at it’s finest and with this recipe at it’s easiest!
After making my Stovetop Mac and Cheese, I thought – wait a minute, I could do this super easy version with vegetables too and it doesn’t have to be a lot of work. Using packaged florets that I steamed in the microwave worked really well.
The beautiful crunch of breadcrumb topping perfects the dish. One thing I have to stress is please don’t scrimp on ingredients – buy a good quality cheddar, it really makes all the difference!
Broccoli cheese has always been a big favorite of mine. I have to be honest, I have been known to buy store bought frozen versions of it because there are brands that are really good and let’s face it, it’s easy.
I love how simple this recipe is I mean 10-minute perp?
To start the dish, in a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Stir in evaporated milk, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix until combined. Add the cheese mixture and stir until melted and smooth.
Stir in the broccoli and cauliflower.
Add to an oven safe dish and top with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake 45 minutes to an hour (Bake 1 hour, or until golden and cooked through).
Serve and enjoy!
It’s amazing how could something so easy to make such a rich, flavorful recipe? Who could ever make a packaged variety again after making it homemade?
- If you want to make this ahead, it can be refrigerated (without the topping) for two days. When ready to use just add the topping and bake.
- To freeze, Make the mixture add to an airtight, oven-safe dish and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw, add to a casserole dish, top with the breadcrumb mixture and bake.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in 2014, but was updated in 2017 with slight changes to the recipe as well as including step by step photos as well as nutritional information.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 12-ounces can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces broccoli and cauliflower florets steamed until just underdone
For the topping:
- 1⁄4 cup bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- In a large bowl, combine both kinds of cheese, and cornstarch - set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter on medium heat. Stir in evaporated milk, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Add the cheese mixture and stir until the cheese has melted (about 2-3 minutes) and the mixture becomes a thick, smooth sauce.
- Remove from heat, add the broccoli & cauliflower into the sauce and toss to coat. Add to an 8-inch oven safe dish.
To make the topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the bread crumbs, oregano, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper.
- Add the olive oil and mix until the mixture, with the oil.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture evenly over the broccoli mixture.
- Bake 1 hour, or until golden and cooked through.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!