This Tangerine Drizzle Cake recipe is so simple but delicious. It’s super moist, flavorful and the glaze is the perfect finishing touch.
When I was a kid, my mom used to make an orange cake for my brother’s birthday every year. Back then, I hated it because it reminded me of baby aspirin. I detested anything with even a hint of orange flavor.
Finding myself with a bowl of tangerines in danger of going bad one day, I decided to try and make a similar cake to the one my mom did all those years ago. Our tastes change over time after all, and now I love any citrus cake. So much that I have created several recipes including my Ultimate Orange Cake.
Why This Recipe Works
- Using tangerines adds a fresh sweetness without being too citrusy.
- The crunchy glaze gives added texture to the cake.
- Using sour cream in the cake ensures the sponge is moist.
How to Make tangerine drizzle cake
- Beat together eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, tangerine zest, sour cream, and juice until smooth.
- Fill a loaf tin with the batter.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
For the Cake:
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until fully combined.
Pour into a loaf tin
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
To glaze the cake
Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or a fork.
Pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into the cake and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
Serve and enjoy!
Other Great Citrus Recipes
You can store this cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can freeze this cake in a freezer-safe container for up to a month.
Drizzle cake is an English sponge cake that has syrup drizzled over it after baking to create a crunchy glaze.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Tangerine Drizzle Cake
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons tangerine zest finely grated
- ⅓ cup tangerine juice fresh from the fruit
- ½ cup sour cream
FOR THE GLAZE
- 4 tablespoons tangerine juice fresh from the fruit
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC
- Prepare a loaf pan by greasing it with butter.
- in a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, zest, sour cream, and juice until smooth.
- Fill the pan evenly with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-30 mins, or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- While the cake is cooling in the pan, mix together the juice of three tangerines and 1/2 cup of sugar to make the drizzle.
- While the cake is still warm, transfer to a wire rack and prick the warm cake all over with a skewer and then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into the cake and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave to cool 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack.