This Tangerine Drizzle Cake recipe is so simple but delicious. It’s super moist, flavorful and the glaze is the perfect finishing touch.
When I was a kid, my mom used to make an orange cake for my brother’s birthday every year. Back then, I hated it because it reminded me of baby aspirin. I detested anything with even a hint of orange flavor.
Finding myself with a bowl of tangerines in danger of going bad one day, I decided to try and make a similar cake to the one my mom did all those years ago. Our tastes change over time after all, and now I love any citrus cake. So much that I have created several recipes including my Ultimate Orange Cake.
Why This Recipe Works
- This simple one-bowl method means it’s quick and delicious!
- Using tangerines adds a fresh sweetness without being too citrusy.
- The crunchy glaze gives added texture to the cake.
- Using sour cream in the cake ensures the sponge is moist.
How to Make tangerine drizzle cake
- Beat together all the ingredients in one bowl.
- Fill a loaf tin with the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
For the Cake:
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until fully combined.
It’s always best to work with room temperature ingredients, this ensures they combine evenly. Especially make sure your butter is soft enough to work with.
Pour into a loaf tin
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
To glaze the cake
Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or a fork.
Pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into the cake and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
Serve and enjoy!
Other Great Citrus Recipes
You can store this cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can freeze this cake in a freezer-safe container for up to a month.
Drizzle cake is an English sponge cake that has syrup drizzled over it after baking to create a crunchy glaze.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Tangerine Drizzle Cake
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons tangerine zest finely grated
- ⅓ cup tangerine juice fresh from the fruit
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ tsp salt (if you use unsalted butter)
FOR THE GLAZE
- 4 tablespoons tangerine juice fresh from the fruit
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC
- Prepare a loaf pan by greasing it with butter.
- in a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, zest, sour cream, and juice until smooth.
- Fill the pan evenly with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35-45 mins, or until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. (Begin testing for doneness after around 30 minutes, as all ovens vary)
- Leave to cool 5 minutes in the pan.
- While the cake is cooling in the pan, mix together the juice of three tangerines and 1/2 cup of sugar to make the drizzle.
- While the cake is still warm, transfer to a wire rack and prick the warm cake all over with a skewer and then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink into the cake and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave to cool 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
Tips + Notes
- It’s always best to work with room temperature ingredients, this ensures they combine evenly. Especially make sure your butter is soft enough to work with.