This quick and easy recipe for Sweet Lemon Iced Tea will be a summer favorite – It’s so refreshing and and full of fruity flavor!
It’s that time of year again – Time to enjoy warm, sunny days outside. There’s nothing better than a relaxing day at a sunlit beach, or laying by the pool taking sips of a tall glass of Sweet Lemon Iced Tea.
Why this recipe works
- The hot brew of the tea helps to give a robust flavor.
- The fresh lemon juice gives a fresh vibrant flavor you just can’t get with store bought.
I adore iced tea. Back home in New Jersey, I drank it all year round. They don’t sell mixes here in England and although I find the occasional bottle of ready made in the grocery stores, it’s really hard to come by.
After so I many summers of craving iced tea, I decided to try my hand at making my own and ever since, I make it all the time.
You can never have too many iced tea recipes right? If you love iced tea, you can also check out my recipe for Sweet Peach Iced Tea – It’s delicious!
This Fresh homemade iced tea recipe is so easy to make, they only tedious part is getting all the juice out of those lemons but, please use fresh juice – it is so worth it in the end!
- To avoid the tea from being watered down, add the ice to your glass instead of the pitcher sitting out with melting ice for long periods.
- Tea blends – This recipe calls for black tea bags, but you can use what ever blend you like. For instance, fruity teas tend to make great iced tea.
- Using Green Tea – If you are using green tea, the hot brew method is particularly important as it can get bitter if you steep it cold.
- To keep the fruit from breaking down, add the sliced lemons to the glasses instead of the pitcher.
- I have made this recipe using other citrus fruits like orange, tangerines, and limes. All of the flavors have been delicious so don’t be afraid to play around and create your own!
- You can also check out my recipe for Sweet Peach Iced Tea – It’s Amazing!
Why is Baking Soda used in iced tea recipes? Baking soda neutralizes the bitterness of the tea and gives it a much smoother taste.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Sweet Lemon Iced Tea
It really doesn’t get more refreshing than a chilled class of Lemon Iced tea. This fresh homemade version is so easy to make truly delicious.
- 3/4 - 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tea bags black tea
- The juice of 6 fresh lemons
- 4 lemons sliced
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
In a large, heat-proof pitcher/jug, combine the boiling water, baking soda & sugar mix well to dissolve the sugar. Add the tea bags and let steep for 10 minutes (the longer you seep the stronger the taste).
- Remove the tea bags.
- Add the lemon juice and fill the rest of the pitcher/jug with cold water.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Add lemon slices and ice to a the glasses and pour the tea over the ice and lemon slices to serve.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in August of 2014, but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions and tips in June of 2018.