Slow Cooker Apple Sausage in Onion Gravy – Sausage in Onion Gravy a classic British dish. This version is cooked to perfection in a flavorful onion gravy and served in a crisp Yorkshire pudding.
As an American (living in England) with a mainly an American following, this is a recipe I wasn’t sure about adding to Erren’s Kitchen. Here’s why –
1) I serve it in giant Yorkshire puddings and before moving here, I wasn’t quite sure what Yorkshire pudding was.
2) I make this dish with English apple pork sausage and I’m not quite sure how American Sausage will work in this dish. That said, this is a delicious slow cooker meal so I’ll offer some suggestions for Americans…
If you can’t find apple sausages, I’d use a sweet sausage and add chopped apple to the recipe when you add the potatoes or you can omit them completely.
For those of you who don’t know, Yorkshire puddings are made from a batter consisting of eggs, flour, and milk and are usually made in a muffin type pan.
They are served in place of dinner rolls. I buy ready-made giant Yorkshire puddings. I know they aren’t available in the US so here is a recipe from Tyler Florence. Tyler uses pan drippings from roast beef, but here they often just use vegetable oil in the pan. The Yorkshire puddings are really a great component of this dish so I hope you find a way to serve it the same way I do.
Other Great Comfort Foods
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Slow Cooker Apple Sausage in Onion Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 apple sausages if you can't get them, use a sweet sausage and add 2 chopped apples along with the potatoes
- 4 medium red onions quartered
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cider the alcoholic kind
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt & pepper
- 8 - 10 baby potatoes cleaned
- 4 large Yorkshire puddings ready made or see recipe link in post
- Preheat the slow cooker on low.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sausages, and fry over a medium-high heat until browned. Transfer the sausages to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the sugar and fry, stirring, for 3 more minutes until the onion slices are caramelized around the edges.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Stir in the flour, then gradually add the cider followed by the stock. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, still stirring.
- Pour over the sausages, cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the sausages are tender.
- Serve in Yorkshire puddings.