This delicious Slow Cooker Apple Sausage in Onion Gravy recipe is a classic British dish served in a giant Yorkshire pudding.
This dish perfect on its own or served with a side of Best Ever Mashed Potatoes for the ultimate comforting meal.
As an American blogger (living in England) with a mainly American following, this is a recipe I wasn’t sure about adding to Erren’s Kitchen, but it’s so good it needs to be shared!
I serve it in giant Yorkshire puddings and before moving here, I wasn’t quite sure what Yorkshire pudding was. It’s made with English apple pork sausage and I’m not quite sure how American Sausage will work in this dish. That said, this is a delicious slow cooker meal so I’ll offer some suggestions for Americans…
If you can’t find apple sausages, I’d use a sweet sausage and add chopped apple to the recipe when you add the potatoes or you can omit them completely.
Why This Recipe Works
- Slow cooking this dish ensures a deeply flavorful dish.
- Adding sugar to the onions gives a delicious caramelized depth of flavor.
- Apple sausage gives this dish a wonderful sweet tang that can’t be beat.
For those of you who don’t know, Yorkshire puddings are made from a batter consisting of eggs, flour, and milk and are usually made in a muffin-type pan.
They are served in place of dinner rolls. I buy ready-made giant Yorkshire puddings. I know they aren’t available in the US so here is a recipe from Tyler Florence. Tyler uses pan drippings from roast beef, but here they often just use vegetable oil in the pan. The Yorkshire puddings are really a great component of this dish so I hope you find a way to serve it the same way I do.
How to Make Slow Cooker Apple Sausage In Onion Gravy
- Fry the sausages until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker
- Add onions to the pan and cook until soft.
- Add sugar to the onions and caramelize in the pan
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir in the flour, add the cider then stock. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and keep stirring.
- Pour the mixture over the sausages, cover, and cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the sausages are tender.
- Serve in Yorkshire puddings. Enjoy!
Other Great Comfort Foods
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Slow Cooker Apple Sausage in Onion Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 apple sausages if you can't get them, use a sweet sausage and add 2 chopped apples along with the potatoes
- 4 medium red onions quartered
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cider the alcoholic kind
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt & pepper
- 8 – 10 baby potatoes cleaned
- 4 large Yorkshire puddings ready made or see recipe link in post
- Preheat the slow cooker on low.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the sausages, and fry over a medium-high heat until browned. Transfer the sausages to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and cook over a medium heat for about 3-4 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the sugar and fry, stirring, for 3 more minutes until the onion slices are caramelized around the edges.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Stir in the flour, then gradually add the cider followed by the stock. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, still stirring.
- Pour over the sausages, cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours or until the sausages are tender.
- Serve in Yorkshire puddings.