This easy Rocky Road recipe made with chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallows is a simple no-bake dessert that’s a chocolate lover’s dream.
It would be hard to find a no-bake dessert that’s easier to make than this Rocky Road Recipe. People just go crazy for it! It’s great to whip up for a simple weekend treat or to give as a homemade gift for someone special.
I make this alongside my Rocky Road Candy Bars every year for my husband and son for Valentine’s Day. They are so much better than any store-bought treat you can find and they just adore them!
What’s In Rocky Road
This recipe uses chocolate, marshmallows, nuts, peanut butter, and butter. That’s it – just common ingredients you probably have in your kitchen right now!
Why This Recipe Works
- Using dark chocolate gives the rocky road a deep chocolate flavor and keeps the sweetness to a minimum.
- The butter and peanut butter add richness and keep the bars from hardening they are soft enough to bite into.
- The nuts add a crunchy texture.
If you haven’t had Rocky Road before, you’re in for a real treat! It is the easiest dessert to make and it’s unbelievably delicious! You can’t go wrong with dark chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallows!
How To Make Rocky Road
- Melt the butter and peanut butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Add the nuts and marshmallows and stir to coat.
- Spread into a pan and allow to set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
Step By Step Instructions
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and peanut butter together.
Add the chocolate and melt mixing until smooth.
Remove from the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted and stir in nuts and allow to cool 3-4 minutes. Then add the marshmallows.
Stir to coat and spread the mixture into a pan.
Chill until firm (about 3-4 hours) before cutting into squares or bars.
- Add crushed cookies in place of the nuts like I did with my rocky road candy bars.
- Add dried fruit such as currants, apricots, raisins, or cranberries.
- Add cherries and shredded coconut like they do in the Australian version of rocky road.
Erren’s Top Tips
- Use regular size marshmallows in place of mini by cutting them into quarters.
- Using salted butter cuts the sweetness and seasons the bars nicely.
- For a simple shortcut, use chunky peanut butter instead of adding nuts.
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Rocky Road
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate or dark chocolate chopped (about 2 cups chocolate chips)
- ¾ cup cups peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1½ cups nuts roughly chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and peanut butter together, then add the chocolate and melt mixing until smooth. Remove from the heat as soon as the chocolate is melted.
- Stir in nuts and allow to cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Add marshmallows and stir to coat.
- Spread in pan and chill until firm (about 3-4 hours) before cutting into squares or bars.