Very few people can resist a chocolate dessert, and this chocolate pudding recipe is no exception. This rich, creamy pudding licked off a spoon, is a joy to experience.
Easy Chocolate Pudding Anyone Can Make
Chocolate pudding from scratch is really simple to make and is so much better than the store-bought stuff. Once you try this recipe, I guarantee you will never use a boxed recipe again (no matter how quick it is to make).
Why This Recipe Works
- Using dark chocolate instead of just cocoa powder gives the pudding a rich deep flavor.
- Adding Butter at the end gives it a silky smooth consistency.
- Using vanilla adds an extra depth of flavor
- A little salt cuts the sweetness giving a perfect balance.
Ingredients For Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- Whole Milk
- Cocoa Powder
- Dark Chocolate, chopped
- Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Homemade Dark Chocolate Pudding
Add the cocoa powder, cornstarch, salt and sugar to a saucepan. Then whisk it together with Ithe milk, egg yolks, and vanilla.
Cook over medium-high heat whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Add the chocolate. While continuing to constantly mix, bring to a full boil.
Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and continue whisking until thick, about 2 or 3 minutes more.
Stir in the butter.
Pour the pudding into 6 small glasses or ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Buy the best quality chocolate you can afford as it will make a big difference to the end result.
- Use whole milk lighter milk may cause the budding to go runny.
- Don’t skip the plastic wrap. If it doesn’t touch the mixture as it cools it will form a skin.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan, whisk together the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt. Cook over medium-high heat whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Add the chocolate and butter.
- While continuing to constantly mix, bring to a full boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and continue whisking until thick, about 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Pour the pudding into 6 small cups or ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Aug 15, 2014, but was republished with step by step instructions, new photos, and tips in December of 2019.