This Crispy Garlic Roasted Potatoes recipe is a simple way to roast potatoes. It looks impressive, tastes great and always a hit!
This foolproof recipe will ensure even first-timers get crispy tops and fluffy insides. If you prefer the more traditional, my Perfect Crispy Roast Potatoes are an equally pleasing offering for any family dinner.
Garlic Roast Potatoes with A Twist
When you think roasted potatoes you probably think of larger chunks of potatoes that are parboiled before roasting (like my Perfect Roasted Potatoes recipe), but this recipe makes things a lot faster and easier.
The flavors are absolutely delicious! When roasted, garlic has a nutty sweetness to it that really makes this dish. The roasted garlic combined with a generous amount of fresh parsley and extra virgin olive oil really perfects this dish.
I know it looks like an awful lot of work, but it really can be put together in twenty minutes. It looks and impressive and it’s always a real crowd-pleaser!
Why This Recipe Works
- Slicing the potatoes thin, cuts the need to par-boil before roasting.
- The fresh garlic adds beautiful flavor without overpowering the dish.
- Using both butter and olive oil to roast the potatoes adds an extra depth of flavor.
Which Potatoes Are Best For Roasting
In the US, the best potatoes to use are Russet or Yukon Gold (although, blue and purple potatoes work great too if you can find them).
In Great Britain, King Edward works well, and in Australia, try Dutch Cream.
In other countries, a good rule of thumb would be to find a potato that has enough waxiness to hold its shape and develop a nice golden color on the outsides, while having enough starch to make the interior light and fluffy.
How To Make Crispy Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Start with Slicing the potatoes about a 1/8 inch thick.
Serve hot and enjoy.
To quickly and easily slice garlic, I use this little gadget that does the job perfectly.
You just fill it with peeled garlic, twist and thinly sliced garlic come out! It’s changed how I cook forever! If you’re in the US, you can get one on Amazon.com (small commission earned), or in the UK, Amazon.co.uk (paid link)
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped.
- Preheat oven to 375 f/190c.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and oil.
- Brush the bottom of a round Large baking dish with some of the butter/oil mixture.
- Arrange potato slices around the dish slightly overlapping slightly.
- Wedge the garlic throughout.
- season well with salt and pepper
- Brush with remaining butter/oil mixture.
- Bake for 1-1⁄4 hours. Sprinkle the parsley evenly over the dish and bake until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top, about 15 minutes more.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Mar 15, 2014, but was republished with, step by step instructions, photos, and cooking tips in December of 2019.