Sweet, sour and absolutely delicious! This easy Homemade Whiskey Sour recipe is a home bartender’s delight!
Serve this recipe alongside raspberry mojitos at your next cocktail party to impress your guests.
What is a Whiskey Sour?
The whiskey sour is a popular cocktail that has a long history (rumored to go back to the Lincoln Administration). As the name suggests, it is sour, but the sweetness of the sugar as well as the bourbon offset and complement it perfectly.
What are the ingredients of a Whiskey?
- Bourbon or Whiskey
- Lemon Juice
- Maraschino Cherry & Lemon Peel for Garnish
Why Shake A Whiskey Sour?
The simple answer – it makes the cocktail ice cold and more pleasant to drink.
How do you make a Whiskey Sour?
Start with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker.
Add ice shake and strain into a glass with ice.
Serve garnished with lemon peel and Maraschino cherry.
- The key to the perfect whiskey sour is good quality bourbon like Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, or Jack Daniel’s.
- Fresh lemon juice is imperative – Bottled lemon juices just don’t taste good and affect the quality of your drink.
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Homemade Whiskey Sour
- 2 oz Bourbon whiskey
- ¾ oz lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- Lemon peel for serving
- Maraschino cherry for serving
- Shake the whiskey, lemon juice, superfine sugar, well with ice.
- Strain into a cocktail glass (chilled if possible).
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry and lemon peel.
Tips + Notes
- The key to the perfect whiskey sour is good quality bourbon like Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, or Jack Daniel's.
- Fresh lemon juice is imperative - Bottled lemon juices just don't taste good and affect the quality of your drink.