This pasta sauce recipe for Greek Style Meat Sauce is 30 minute dish which infuses spaghetti Bolognese with the flavors of Greece. This authentic recipe includes fresh mint, cinnamon, and allspice.
This quick and easy recipe is a delicious homemade pasta sauce made with simple ingredients that are probably already in your pantry and your fridge.
In Greece, this dish is called Makaronia Me Kima, which simply translates as spaghetti with meat sauce.
Why this recipe works:
- The traditional Greek ingredients of fresh mint, cinnamon and allspice gives this dish a flavorful richness.
- It’s a simple recipe that’s quick to prepare, making it perfect for busy weeknight meals.
- Using fresh ingredients, rather than jarred sauce makes this recipe a much healthier option.
Here’s how to make it:
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan over medium heat. and add the ground beef.
Fry until fully cooked and no pink shows at all in the meat (about 8 minutes). Add the red onion.
Saute until the onions are soft and add the garlic.
Fry another minute and stir in the wine and allow to cook down. Stir in the tomato paste.
Add the tomato puree.
Add the cinnamon, allspice and sugar.
Add dried oregano.
Followed by the fresh parsley and mint.
Stir together, lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Serve over pasta and enjoy!
- This recipe calls for ground beef, but authentic recipes would call for lamb. You could easily use ground pork or turkey too.
- The longer you simmer, the deeper the flavor, so if you have the time, cook the sauce longer and add a little water if it gets to thick.
- For a more authentic combination, instead of serving with Parmesan cheese, try using of Greek Mizithra cheese.
- For a low fat option, try dry frying the meat and adding cooking spray when adding the onions and garlic.
- Different regions of Greece use varied ingredients. Other options are adding cayenne pepper, ground cloves, bay leaves or topped with mozzarella cheese.
Watch how to make it:
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Greek Style Meat Sauce
An easy traditional Greek style meat sauce for pasta. Perfect for busy week night suppers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large red onion chopped or sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ white wine or red wine
- 1 28oz can crushed or pureed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 leaves fresh mint chopped
- fresh parsley (a good handful) chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb pasta
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
Add the ground beef and fry until fully cooked and no pink shows at all in the meat (about 8 minutes).
Add the onions, and saute until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fry another minute. Stir in the wine followed by the tomato paste.
Stir in the tomatoes, spices, sugar, oregano, parsley and mint. Season with the salt and pepper.Bring to a boil, Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes
Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and serve topped with the sauce.
Update Notes: This post was originally published on Apr 17, 2017, but was republished with a new recipe, step by step instructions, a video, and tips in May of 2018.