This recipe for Easy Baked Glazed Chocolate Donuts makes a healthier treat. Baked not fried, these cake doughnuts are generously glazed.
A Chocolate Glazed Donuts Recipe Baked at Home
These Easy Baked Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts are a sweet, family-friendly homemade treat that will be gobbled up in seconds by children and adults alike.
They are soft, flavorful and so much better than other baked doughnuts I’ve tried. Most have been doughnut-shaped cakes, but these really do taste like doughnuts – delicious, you can’t eat just one doughnut!
Why This Recipe Works
- Using good quality cocoa powder gives a deeper chocolate richness.
- Replacing the oil you find in most donut recipes with melted butter gives a much more flavorful result.
- Double Glazing gives an extra thick coating of glaze.
Baked Donuts Anyone Can Make
Making baked doughnuts is so simple! All you need is one bowl, one wooden spoon, and a donut pan! The hardest part is melting the butter that I used instead of all oil, but it’s well worth it because it adds a lot of flavors.
How to Make Easy Baked Glazed Chocolate Donuts
To make these Baked Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts, generously grease the pan and fill the doughnut sections 3/4 of the way to allow them to rise, but not so much they are difficult to get out of the pan.
Once baked, they should be dipped in the glaze while still warm. I did mine one at a time and then went back to the first and did a second coat.
Cool completely on a wire rack to allow the glaze to set.
once the glaze is set, serve and enjoy!
This the pan I have. If you’re in the US, you can get a like mine, you can get it here on Amazon . (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases).If you’re in the UK, click here (As an Amazon Associate, a small commission is made from qualifying purchases). I highly recommend the two-pack.
This recipe makes 18 doughnuts so if you don’t have two, it will take quite a while to get through the batter.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Easy Baked Glazed Chocolate Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the double glaze: (Note: if you plan to do just one layer, half the recipe)
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
For the Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 (6 section) doughnut pans well.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full.
- Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan.
For the Glaze
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until smooth.
- Place baking paper under wire racks to catch the excess glaze.
- As each batch is finished baking, coat the hot donuts in glaze on both sides by dunking each side quickly. Set them on a wire rack to let the excess drip off onto the baking paper underneath.
- Once you reach the end, re-dip for a second time.