This recipe for Dark Chocolate Silk Tart makes a creamy, rich, decadent dessert that is a dream come true for any chocolate lover!
This chocolate tart is amazing.
I made it first thing in the morning on a day I knew it would be hot and that night we had a cool, creamy and decadent dessert!
If you want a completely no-bake version, you can buy a store-bought base, but I promise you that you’ll be missing out because this base is worth the extra work!
This was the first chocolate tart I’ve ever made and I have to be honest, I was expecting to have to try it a few times before getting it right, but this time, I got it exactly right on the very first run!
As I’ve mentioned before, my husband is crazy about chocolate. He took one bite of this, his face lit up and he said, ‘That is perfect’
I can’t tell you how great that was to hear because let me tell you, he is one tough critic!
I have to say when I cut the first piece, I thought it looked a bit disappointing. It looked thin, but after a few bites, I realized that any thicker would be too much. This tart is rich and although it’s delicious, too thick would have been too much. It’s a scrumptious, luxurious tart that’s simply to die for!
Please note that this recipe includes Golden Syrup (although it’s optional) which is common in English baking and I’ve fallen in love with it since moving here. I think it adds an extra depth of flavor. I know it can be hard to find in the US, so you can buy it here on Amazon.
JUST A HEADS UP – THE AMAZON LINK ABOVE IS AN AFFILIATE LINK, WHICH MEANS I MAKE A SMALL COMMISSION IF YOU MAKE A PURCHASE.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
For the crust:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup, see my shop
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 6 oz semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in eggs and yolks, adding one at a time.
- Stir in golden syrup.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt and add to butter mixture. Mix until dough just comes together.
- Shape into a ball and chill 20 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough slightly to soften a bit and then roll it out to just over 1/4-inch thickness.
- Line an 8-inch removable-bottom tart shell with the dough, trim the edges and chill for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C.
- Prick the pastry with a fork and bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl. Heat cream to just a simmer and pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for a moment and then stir slowly to melt the chocolate.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour the filling into crust and cool at room temperature for 15 minutes and then chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.