This easy, low-fat recipe for Healthy Creamy Broccoli Soup has no cream, making it a scrumptious, vegan option for Cream of Broccoli Soup.
Easy Broccoli Soup That’s Healthy and Delicious!
This low-fat version of cream of broccoli soup is a silky, smooth scrumptious soup that has a creamy consistency without any added cream. It’s super simple to prepare and on the table in just 30 minutes! What more can you ask for?
Why This Recipe Works
- The simplicity of the ingredients makes the broccoli the start of the dish.
- Using Potatoes to Thicken the Soup gives it a silky smooth creamy consistency.
Vegan Broccoli Soup That’s Far From Boring
This flavorful soup is simplicity at it’s finest. With only five ingredients, you can have a wonderful, vegan-friendly soup that’s packed full of flavor. To thicken the soup without adding flour or cream, I add a large potato which also adds a bit of bulk and makes it more filling.
Health Benefits of Broccoli
Broccoli is a low-calorie source of fiber and it’s also rich in many essential vitamins and minerals.
A cup of cooked broccoli has just as much vitamin C as an orange, and it’s also a good source of B vitamins beta-carotene, iron, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
How to Make Healthy Creamy Broccoli Soup
Cut the broccoli into florets.
Melt the margarine or olive oil in a heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
Add the stock.
Add the Broccoli, potatoes, and seasoning.
Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until soft enough to puree.
Remove a cup of the liquid and set aside. Using a stick blender (a food processor or blender can also be used) blend the soup to your desired constancy (adding some of the stock a bit at a time if necessary).
To keep it vegan serve as blended.
Or serve topped with shredded cheese.
- If using a blender or food processor to puree the soup, let the soup cool before transferring to avoid injury.
- For added flavor, try adding garlic when browning the onions.
- Salt like you mean it. Seasoning is the key to the perfect soup. Salt gradually and taste as you go.
Can Broccoli Soup Be Frozen?
Broccoli Soup freezes really well (Allow it to cool before freezing and be careful not to leave it at room temperature for over an hour to avoid bacteria). Then portion the Broccoli soup into freezer-safe bags or containers.
How Long Can Broccoli Soup Be Stored In The Refridgerator?
Broccoli Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for us to 3 days.
Other Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , or low-calorie margarine
- 1½ pounds fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock,
- Shredded cheddar cheese, or vegan cheese (optional)
- Melt the margarine in a heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until onion is translucent about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, potato, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- Remove a cup of the liquid and set aside.
- Using a hand/stick blender blend the soup to your desired constancy (adding some of the stock a bit at a time if necessary).
- Serve hot topped with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in 2014, but was published again in 2018 to include step by step directions, nutritional information, and new photos.