This recipe for No Cream Creamy Broccoli Soup is a low fat soup that has all the flavor and indulgence of a creamed soup with none of the guilt.
More soup, you say? Yes more soup.
I am recovering from pneumonia and have not been feeling well so, I have been making an awful lot of soup. I absolutely love homemade cream of broccoli soup, but what I don’t love are all the calories that come along with it.
My version is a silky smooth blended soup that has a creamy consistency without any added cream. To thicken the soup without adding flour or cream, I add a large potato which also adds a bit of bulk and makes it more filling.
This broccoli soup recipe is a really low calorie recipe so if you want a guilt free meal, just leave out the cheese.
- 3 tablespoons low calorie margarine
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large potato quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock/vegetable stock
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Melt the margarine in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, potato, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft enough to blend.
- Remove a cup of the liquid and set aside.
- Using a hand/stick blender blend the soup to your desired constancy (adding some of the stock a bit at a time if necessary).
- Serve hot topped with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.