Instead of traditional seafood paella, try this simple One Pot Chicken & Chorizo Paella recipe. This hearty family dinner is a flavorful, one-pot meal with chicken, Spanish sausage and saffron rice.
I love one-pot meals! I can’t get enough of them! There’s something so satisfying about an entire meal cooked in one pot… with no extra pans to wash after dinner.
This was one of the very first recipes I posted when I started this blog. I took the photos with my phone, but even so, it has been a very popular dish.
I just thought it was time to update the photos. I worked on this on this recipe for a long while and it took me a long time to have finally perfect it.
Paella is one of my favorite things in the world, but I can’t always get fresh seafood where I am, so I created this fish-free version that is packed with flavor.
If you want to add some uncooked shrimp at the end, you can just mix them in and wait for them pink up. It would only take a few minutes. I’ve never done it, but now that I’ve said it, I’ll be trying it next time I make it. That said, this is one of our favorite family dinners.
I make this recipe a lot all year round and we never, ever tire of it! It’s one of those dishes that I make for family and friends when they come for dinner and I have yet to have someone have it and not ask for the recipe.
I know this isn’t a quick recipe as far as cook time, but let me tell you – the slow-cooked chicken on the bone adds so much flavor. It really makes the dish!
Love Paella type dishes? Why not take a look at some of these recipes while you’re here.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Saffron , or ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tbsp oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 8 oz chorizo, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced thin
- ½ cup Vermouth or white wine
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 good handful flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Warm the stock and add the saffron. Set aside to infuse.
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan, and brown the chicken thighs on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Lower the heat, add the onion and peppers and cook for 5 mins. Add the chorizo, and cook for a further 2 mins until the chorizo has released some of its oils into the dish. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the vermouth and bring to a boil to cook off the alcohol (about a minute).
- Stir in the tomato paste and paprika.
- Return the chicken pieces to the dish along with the parsley and stock. Bring it to a boil, cover the dish with a tight-fitting lid and lower the heat. Cook for 30 mins.
- Add the rice and stir everything together. Cover, and simmer for a further 15 mins, or until the rice is cooked and has absorbed most of the cooking liquid. Remove from the heat and leave the dish to sit for 10 mins to absorb any remaining liquid.
- Salt & Pepper to taste and serve.
Never Miss A Single Recipe!
Join the free Erren's Kitchen mailing list & get the latest tasty goodness straight to your inbox!