This recipe for Easy One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice is a simple one pot dish that uses left over chicken. It’s packed full of flavor, and may be simple, but really looks the part when you’re trying to impress.
This recipe is a one pot dish that’s deliciously flavorful and it can be adapted perfectly with just about any poultry or fish – plus it’s super easy to make!
My family loves this dish and I love that it’s one of those meals we all can agree on. I make this dish when I have left over chicken I need to use.
Easy One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice, oh how I love you! I have a thing for saffron and use it any chance I get (if you haven’t noticed). If you can’t find saffron threads, saffron powder can be substituted (about a teaspoon) too.
I also love leftover rice so you could definitely make it a day in advance and just rewarm it the following day. I mean what could be better during those busy weekdays when time is so precious?
Here’s how to make it:
Bring stock to a simmer add the saffron and leave to infuse.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onion and celery until softened but not colored.
Add the rice stir until its coated with the butter.
Add the stock and parsley and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat, stir and leave to cook covered for 15 – 20 minutes until the rice is Al dente and the liquid is absorbed.Stir in the chicken and allow it to warm through the heat of the rice.
Serve hot and enjoy.
If you love saffron too, why not try some of these other recipes right here on Erren’s Kitchen…
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Easy One Pot Chicken and Saffron Rice
A great one-pot rice dish that can still be served up a few days later, perfect for leftovers
- 4 Cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- A good sized pinch of saffron threads
- 2-3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 2 Celery stalks finely chopped
- 1 Cup leftover or cooked chicken cut into bite- sized pieces
- 2 Cups Long Grain Rice
- A handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan; add the saffron and leave to infuse.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and sweat the onion and celery until softened but not colored.
- Add the rice stir until its coated with the oil.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat, stir and leave to cook covered for 15 - 20 minutes until the rice is Al dente and the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff the rice.
- Stir in the chicken and parsley and allow it to warm through the heat of the rice.
- Serve hot.
Update Notes: This post was originally published in May of 2014, but was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, step by step instructions, tips, and FAQs in March of 2018.