This savory Italian Beef Stew recipe makes a delicious, satisfying stew with a rich tomato gravy and meat that just melts in your mouth!
Growing up, my Italian grandmother used to make tomato sauce that would cook all day with all different types of meat in it and served it on pasta.
I just loved it when she’d serve it up on a Sunday with a side of mushrooms that were made in a tomato garlic sauce.
This dish was inspired by those Sunday dinners of long-cooked meat, mushrooms, and Italian flavors. I serve it on pasta, but if you’d rather add potatoes and eat it on its own, feel free – it’s just as good!
This recipe is easy to throw together and once you do, you throw it in the oven and you don’t have to touch it until its done. Simple.
If you love stew, check out some of my other recipes that you might like while you’re here.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Italian Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef stewing meat cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 14 ounces mushrooms sliced, any variety
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 2 stalks of celery sliced
- A good handful of fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound pasta of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Season the beef with salt & pepper and coat with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large, oven-safe pot over medium heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides (I did this in two batches so not to crowd the pan).
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the same pan and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the wine and raise the heat to medium-high heat. Cook the wine until it reduces in half.
- You can also scrape up and stir in anything that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Return the beef to the pan. Stir in the vegetables and stock.
- Add the parsley and salt & pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake for 1½ hours.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook according to the package instructions.
- Serve the stew on top of the pasta.