Italian Sausage Meatballs cooked in a tomato, onion, and garlic pasta sauce makes a delicious meal in no time flat.
Serve with my Garlic Bread for an easy midweek meal.
Easy Sausage Meatballs
I first saw this recipe made on a cooking show when I was living in England, but for the life of me, I can’t remember who it was that made it.
Whoever it was, I’d like to thank them because this meal has saved me on many busy nights when I needed a quick meal.
Why This Recipe Works
- Using Italian Sausage to create mini meatballs gives this dish a punch of flavor.
- Adding a stock cube adds flavor and cuts the acidity of the tomatoes.
- A pinch of cyan pepper adds a little zing that elevates the dish.
Time Saver Tip
Use ready-made tomato sauce for an even speedier dish.
How To Make Italian Sausage Meatballs
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings
- Separate into small clumps so that they look like little meatballs.
- Cook in a pan until all pink is gone.
- Make the tomato sauce
- Simmer the Sausage Meatballs in the sauce while the pasta cooks
- Serve on a bed of pasta
For More Traditional Meatballs
If you want a more traditional meatball consistency, mix the sausage meat with a half cup of moistened breadcrumbs, an egg and a half cup of parmesan cheese. Then pan fry before adding to the sauce.
- For an extra depth of flavor, allow the onions to brown in the pan and scrape any crispy bits from the bottom of the pan when you add the tomatoes.
- Stir often to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Did you make this?
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Let’s Make Italian Sausage Meatballs & Spaghetti
- 6 Italian Sausages
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 28 oz crushed or chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Knorr Chicken stock cube optional
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound dried pasta
- Boil a pot of water for your pasta.
- To start, remove the sausage meat from the casings in small clumps so that they look like little meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan add the sausage clumps and brown the sausage until there is no pink left drain the fat from the pan. Transfer to paper towels and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan if nessasary. Add the chopped onion and the and cook until they are soft and the sausage balls are a golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the sausage meat, tomatoes, herbs, a pinch of cayenne pepper and if using, crumble the stock into the mixture. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered over a medium heat for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- When the sauce has about 10 minutes to go, cook the pasta and reserve some water before draining. Drain and serve with the sausage & sauce (if the sauce has gotten too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water to help loosen it).