I’m not sure this recipe will work for American sausages. It works here in the UK because the sausages here have fillers like breadcrumbs that American sausages don’t have (which is why it can pass for meatballs). That said, I would love for someone to try it using American sausages and let me know how it comes out.
I use this recipe for a really quick pasta meal. I tell my son the sausage pieces are baby meatballs and he loves it. The cayenne pepper (UK – Chili powder) is not for heat, but to add an extra kick to the flavors (if your sausages are hot sausages, I would skip this step). The stock cube is also to add flavor and cut down on the acidity of the sauce (if you can’t find Knorr you can try another brand but may want to skip it instead as other brands have less natural flavor and a ton of salt). I’m sure I adapted this recipe from one that I got from a UK cooking show years ago, but I don’t remember which one to add the original credit.
Receive new recipes & dinner ideas straight to your inbox!
Cheaters Meatballs & Pasta
- 6 Good Quality Sausages in the UK make sure they are at least 80% meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans crushed or chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Knorr Chicken stock cube
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 handful fresh flatleaf parsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound dried pasta
- Boil a pot of water for your pasta.
- To start, remove the sausage meat from the casings in small clumps so that they look light little meatballs, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan add the sausage clumps and brown the sausage until there is no pink left (Americans - At the point there is probably a lot of fat in the pan. Move the sausage onto paper towels and blot. Drain the access fat from the pan and put the sausage back into the pan with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat).
- Add the chopped onion and the and cook until they are soft and the sausage balls are a golden brown. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, herbs, a pinch of cayenne pepper and crumble the stock cube as you add it. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer covered over a medium heat for about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- When the sauce has about 10 minutes to go, cook the pasta and reserve some water before draining. drain and serve with the sausage & sauce (if the sauce has gotten too thick, add some of the reserved pasta water to help loosen it).